The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (53 green 1- ton, greenie-reddy, DadsFirstPickup, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1365056 06/16/2020 2:24 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Lots of guys looking and or changing carburetors on the 216 and 235 engines. Anybody replaced the Rochester with something else on an early (65) 230? If so what did you use include part #s please. How did it run and would you do it again? Difficulty installing and/or modifications made? Thanks


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
9
'Bolter
'Bolter
9 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
Not recommending anything!,but my 65 292 has the mono jet,and works pretty well,aside poor choice on my part tried using china pump piston,and had to use a old school leather cup as bore out of spec


Karl j Townsend
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 620
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 620
I noticed that the plastic pump piston is standard in most AFB's and two barrels as well. Just removed an hour ago from a from a street rod. In my personal opinion once it has set to long with modern gas not much chance of making it right again. Sometimes a leather replacement can be found. Leather I found will get the right shape and texture. I have a warped float bowl, model "B" that I put a dried out or warped one in with some Carburetor Fog Spray in. A few hours later and good as almost new. Doc

Last edited by Doc.Hall; 06/17/2020 11:24 AM. Reason: grammer

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Other options than Rochester, please. Rochester’s have been discussed to death here.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 296
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 296
I would think a Carter would be just fine, as long as it is sized and tuned correctly for your engine. I'm thinking Carter YF.


-Patrick
1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 / 4-speed / 4:11 / Commercial Red

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
I am running twin Carter W-1 on a 250. I would look for a W-1 ( http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/CarterChevroletW1.htm ) from '41-'48. Mine run really well and are quite tunable.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
You may want to look at a 65 Chevy van with manual transmission, 230 engine and manual choke which was equipped with a Carter YF 4145s.
The distributor vacuum advance connection is below the throttle plate on both carburetors so this should work okay.
The Carter throttle arm location is in a different position (forward of intake manifold) to the Rochester (rear of intake manifold).
The Carter throttle arm lowers to open the throttle valve which I believe is the opposite direction from the Rochester (please verify that).
Maybe you can find a picture of a 65 van with a 230 and see how the linkage was done or maybe find an assembly drawing off the Internet.
You may have to convert to a cable accelerator linkage or modify what you have.
Your manual choke cable may need to be rerouted.
You can find used and rebuilt 4145s on ebay but make sure it has all the parts you need (bridge to hold the air cleaner, choke bracket etc.).


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 620
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 620
Justhorsenround, Carter and Rochester are the same company. A W1, YF etc are the same as old Rochesters. When Rochester could not keep up production they bought Carter, the only difference is Carter is stamped on instead of Rochester. This was very evident with the Carter AFB that was put on high performance GM engines in 1957 on. Doc


Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Again, I’m not interested in discussing the relative merits of Rochester vs Carter or the history of each company. My question was very simple and adequately addressed by Green_98, Joe H and buoymaker and of course Carbking by PM. Thanks guys.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
What kind of guage, where located, multi Vis. or straight wt. oil?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0