The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ponchogl, Bill Hanlon, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1364519 06/12/2020 12:35 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 17
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 17
I am beating my head against a wall trying to get the rear drums off. I have a bad wheel cylinder pouring fluid. Ordered the new parts and now I can't get the drum off to save my life. I backed off the adjusters, I opened the bleeder valve, removed the brake line, I even, pulled the bolts and tapped the wheel cylinders inwards to take any pressure off.

I have read that I need to pull the axles, and I have read that I do not.

I have the three screws through the drum. My understanding is that indicates the drum should slide off the hub without pulling the axle. I have used PB blaster, I have heated the drum with the torch, heat beat and repeat. Nothing. Suggestions?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I have a 6' length of 3" heavy wall pipe that I use as a slide hammer/battering ram to drive the drums off. Laying under the truck I rest the pipe on top of the leaf springs and take good aim at the back edge of the drum and give it heck...two or three good hits on the back edge and then two or three on the front edge to walk it off...it's a slow process, but it has worked for me on several occasions.

Pulling the axle and removing the outer bearing will allow the entire hub to swivel and move more which may help. You'll want to remove the hub anyway for better access to the brakes.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
Like Mike said, pull the hub and drum as an assembly by removing the axle and the bearing retaining nuts. Much easier to work on the drum off the vehicle and if it is OK, there is no need to separate it from the hub.


Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by Mike B
Pulling the axle and removing the outer bearing will allow the entire hub to swivel and move more which may help. You'll want to remove the hub anyway for better access to the brakes.

Mike B smile

It will also be good time to replace hub seal.
Always a bummer to have a axle fluid leak on your new brake shoes.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 17
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 17
I got the drum off! I didn't pull the axle, or hub or mess with any seals. I had a 10 foot piece of drill rod. I laid under the truck and guided the end of the rod around the edge of the drum while my friend used the hammer. It took a few times around and then popped off slick as could be!

Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
9
'Bolter
'Bolter
9 Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 87
Yea that works also!,glad to see im not the only one i use 11/4×8" brass drift


Karl j Townsend

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0