The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3800GUY, Patina 54, moparguy, Woodcmiami, Otto Skorzeny, John L., D B Cooper), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
I've acquired a Carter 967 (that needs a rebuild, but looks like a GREAT rebuild candidate), or is it a 966? It has auto choke. I'm wondering if it's feasible to convert to ported vacuum or is that not practical? I'm getting tired of chasing the Rochester 1B. I may still thoroughly go through the 1B this winter (try and straighten air horn, polish accelerator pump well) but I would like something in it's place for now.

Thanks in advance,
Attachments
IMG_5941.jpg (223.15 KB, 76 downloads)

Last edited by Lindsey; 06/09/2020 4:20 PM.

1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
Sort of confused by your question, Lindsey. In the YF the distributor vacuum port is right where you're looking (image attached). You may need a brass fitting, but that's where it will be. Just me, but I'd rebuilt the YF nicely and forget about the Rochester. Good luck.
Attachments
MVC-089F.JPG (39.4 KB, 67 downloads)


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
Ok from what I read I thought the 966/967 provides the incorrect vacuum for a '53 and up 235.


1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
Please take a look at the attached two images. These are of a throttle body of the Carter used in the 216. The other image I sent was of a NOS 3211s (for the 1957 and up 235). The size of the port slit is the same. In the first image, the throttle plate sits below the port (horizontal slot). In the second image, I've lifted the throttle plate to show where it might be at idle. So you can appreciate there will be a slight bit of vacuum in the port at idle speed. But for the distributor, it won't matter. The advance diaphragm unit ought to start moving when 4 or 5 inches (mercury) is applied to it, so any vacuum less than that will be seen as no vacuum at all. Personally I'd give it a try and see how it does. I have a feeling it will be fine. It might be that the vac advance diaphragm is different in the earlier 235. I don't know about that, but I think the vacuum provided by the Carter YF should be roughly the same.
Attachments
MVC-090F.JPG (30.34 KB, 59 downloads)
MVC-091F.JPG (32.49 KB, 59 downloads)


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 214
Jon, in those pictures, is the throttle body as it would sit on the engine? IE, those slots are above the plate? I don't see the large mounting holes so I'm assuming that's correct. I'll have a good look at my carb this evening.

BTW, I'd like to get this stuff sorted to eventually get to the T5 I have waiting to go in like I see you have.

Cheers,


1953 Canadian GMC 9314 w/ (factory) Chevy 235
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
Yes, Lindsey. I took those images as if the carburetor was sitting on the manifold so you could see the vacuum port slot. Take a look and let me/us know if you have questions. You can also use my email address ([email protected]).

You'll like the T5. It is really a nice change, especially if the ratios in the transmission & rear end are well matched. Good luck with the work.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0