The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1362352 05/28/2020 1:05 AM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
'
'Bolter
'Bolter
' Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
I got the new seals in the differential and got that all back together so now it's back to the transmission.
PO brazed a spot on the rear of the transmission but it's still leaking. It was a lumpy mess so I ground it down flat with the case and it appears
there is something like a frost plug there. Is that what it is? Should I drill it out and put new frost plug in?. I can't find any reference to
it in the shop manual.
Thanks
John

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
There are two shifter shafts that installed through holes in the rear and front of the transmission. It is possible for a leak to occur at one of more of these spots.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
If the area you are referring to is lower down and below the shift tower, it could be the end of the idler shaft. That can also leak, similar to what Truckernix mentioned above. There are no frost plugs, do not drill it out. If you want to fix it you may have to remove the tranny and at least partially disassemble. The ends of the idler shaft, and the ends of the shift rails can be coated with permatex and that will help a bit.
Kent

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; 05/29/2020 8:31 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
'
'Bolter
'Bolter
' Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
OK, thanks.
Good thing I asked before I started drilling.
I wonder if I could put a layer of JB Weld or permatex on the outside?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
You will need to clean it well first. I would think JB Weld or RTV would work. Personally I wouldn't use JB Weld because if you need to disassemble it, that hole is used to drive out the shaft.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
I would check for a crack in the case in that area.

The idler shaft is a light interference fit in that hole. Unless the shaft or hole or both damaged it should adequately seal unless the case is cracked.

If the hole is damaged you could have it bored oversize and insert a sleeve.


Rusty
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I wonder if a crack is the reason someone brazed it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Pics might help.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0