I've searched everywhere I can think of for schematics and diagrams for these old dump hoists like what is on my '46 COE but have found nothing. Anybody out there know of a place I could find info on it? It has leaky seals and would like to replace them (I have a place that claims they carry any seal needed) but would like to know what I am looking at before I dismantle this thing! Thank you one and all!
I don't know anything about St. Paul hoists, but perhaps your cylinder does not use a seal at all. I resealed my 1941 vintage Hercules dump cylinder with Teflon packing. An example of what I am referring to: https://www.mcmaster.com/ptfe-packing/abrasion-and-chemical-resistant-packing-seals/. Using the packing is exactly like repairing and old style house faucet.
Thank you Paul. The cylinder appears to be packing but the control valve is a 7/8" sliding rod that directs the hydraulic fluid and it slides through a seal on each side of the valve body. Those are the seals I was referring to. I appreciate your thoughts though.