The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Phak1, texczech, Shade Baby, WICruiser), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,428
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1360042 05/13/2020 12:36 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so feel free to move...

I have a 1954 Chevy 3600, moved the fuel tank out of the cab about 5 years ago. Current setup is a custom made 35 gallon tank located in the bed.

This has worked great for years but times have changed and id like to relocate to an underbed tank and reclaim my full bed space.

The problem I'm finding is that most aftermarket tanks or those from the normal donor vehicles (Blazer, mustang, el camino, 47/48 suburban) do not appear to fit or work with my 3600 frame. Most are geared to the more popular 1/2 tons.
I seem to have the width (side to side) but not the length (front of truck to back) due mostly to the extra crossmember on the frame. Depth of tank also is flexible though ideally somewhere between 10-12" as id rather not have the tank super low.

I don't really want to move the crossmember or pay $500+ for a new/custom tank etc. unless i absolutely have to. Location isn't as big of a deal, weather its behind the cab on the side of the frame rail or behind the rear axle. The space between the last crossmember and the rear of the frame is roughly 17x31.

FWIW the truck will soon have a flatbed which should allow me some added flexibility.

Ive gone thru multiple searches on this site and others with no luck... curious if anyone knows of a tank roughly 17x31x 10/12" deep. Or anything else that might work. Bigger volume the better.

Thanks in advance

Chooglin


1954 3600
[/url] www.tors54.tumblr.com
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Side tanks off a GM P/U with dual fuel tanks. Tape measure and your local salvage yard can be your friend.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Why not just put it back in the stock location inside the cab?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
Thanks guys--

JustHorse - Ill see what i can find next time i get a chance. My local yard has greatly reduced its hours with Covid now and my work schedule (thankful to still have one!) makes things tricky...

MikeB- Ive been strongly considering that the more i keep running into obstacles... just means undoing some past mods behind the seat and finding a new home for several items-not the end of the world but I'm calling it Plan B for a bit still...


Anyone else got any ideas?

Chooglin


1954 3600
[/url] www.tors54.tumblr.com
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Have you checked with tanksinc.com? I had looked at their site last winter and I know they have some universal tanks. Not sure of the sizes right now.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
Rich- Thanks!

Swear id looked over all they're stuff already but you got me to look again and sure enough they have a Universal (U4) thats 30x16x8... at 15gallons. Not sure how i missed it but thats pretty much just what i was looking for size wise. Though i wish it was bigger in the volume dept. wink Beggars can't be choosers though!

Thanks again to all! Ill try and remember to post back with an update after i get something installed.

Chooglin

Last edited by Chooglin; 05/13/2020 3:51 AM.

1954 3600
[/url] www.tors54.tumblr.com
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
A
ASU Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
I used the tanksinc.com U4 on my 48 3600. I think it works well. Second pic just shows how I have the lumber to level the frame, I adjusted tank height so that the fill tube was just above the top of the frame, and notched the board. (sorry don't have pic of the other side on the computer!)

Jon
Attachments
IMG_0118.JPG (25.6 KB, 159 downloads)
IMG_0145.JPG (224.16 KB, 154 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
Great looking truck ASU!
I have those same wheels i think!

Those pics are definitely helpful, I hadn't thought of placing the tank directly behind the cab, looked like the easiest spot was farther back but now ill have to go out and poke around with the tape measure.

Any chance you have the dimensions of your flatbed? Length, Width, and how high you lifted it off the frame to clear the tank?

Thanks

Chooglin


1954 3600
[/url] www.tors54.tumblr.com
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
A
ASU Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Chooglin,

My flat bed is from the 40's, best I can tell, original to the truck. It is 7'6" long and 6'6" wide. The boards I have on top of the frame rails are 2" thick, and 4-1/4" tall at the front and back, close to 2-1/2" when they go over the frame arch. I need the clearance for the wheels, the gas tank is only about 2-1/2" over top of the frame rails.

Jon

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 89
Great thank you for the info!

Chooglin


1954 3600
[/url] www.tors54.tumblr.com

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0