The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Peggy M, kades51, fonz8261, Otto Skorzeny, 55shaker, tclederman), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Today, I opened up my cowl vent on the '47 and noticed a pile of petrified gasket material on the floor mat. I checked the side cowl vent and there wasn't any gasket material to be found. Looking at our vendor's options, I see these gaskets are offered in "Foam Type" and "Molded Rubber". The foam types are billed as 'original'. IMHO, the foam type would likely take shape and seal better..............

Which one are you using and is the seal reasonably good?

Thanks,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I use two soft foam seals. One for the cowl and one for the underside of the vent door. You will have to cut and remove some out of the one for the vent door to make it fit.
No more leaks.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
The rubber will not seal good unless you have a mighty tough spring hooked to the lever. Been there, both on my 37 pickup and the 52 panel.......some models the replacement gasket is more like a cork. The one on 37 seals good but its getting old, after 23 years, or the spring is getting weak..............my opinion, stay away from the rubber.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks for the feedback you guys. I'll give the foam/sponge style a try. Both of my vents seem to close pretty tight. Hopefully, this round of gaskets will last about 73 more years and it will be one of my grandson's problem.............

Edit: I installed both foam/sponge gaskets yesterday. The installation seemed to be pretty straight forward. New gaskets are certainly better than no gaskets. Thanks again for your help. I even purchased some new external tooth star washers, so 'breakneck speeds' shouldn't be an issue...........

Last edited by HandyAndy; 05/01/2020 11:45 AM.

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0