The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, cmayna, 46 Texaco, rfs56trk, Hawkman, Wally / Montana), 109 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,687
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1346890 02/17/2020 8:47 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Getting ready to change the oil on my 235 and with all the new stuff out there was wondering what everyone is using. its not driven much but I like to see some oil pressure at idle

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
No synthetic.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I have been using Brand Penn 10W30 (now called Penn Grade One) for 7 or 8 years now. Real Pennsylvania crude oil base, clings to the parts, especially the rockers over the winter, has a zinc package and a wear package compatible with our old motors, and seems to hold better pressure then the Pennzoil I use to use, at least from what I have experienced.

Last edited by Dragsix; 02/17/2020 9:47 PM.

Mike
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Valvoline VR-1 30 weight is what I use. You won't have winter weather to worry about in S. Florida, so 30 weight should be your friend. VR-1 also has extra zinc and holds pressure well in hot climates.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
I use Delo 30w, any of the diesel oils still have enough zinc in them to protect the cam and lifters.


ESum
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Thanks for the input. Think I will go with the VR1 oil, like the zinc additive. But it looks to be hard to find in a 30 wt wonderif 10w30 would be ok. and yes we have had a light winter here still haven't put on the tire chains

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
The VR-1 if it is truly a RACING oil, it won't have detergent, and yes 10w-30 is fine, I can't even believe anyone uses a straight weight oil, even Caterpillar has relented. And if you have a tight engine that doesn't leak a lot of oil, synthetic is more than fine, it is by far a superior lubricant.

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 449
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by brokenhead
And if you have a tight engine that doesn't leak a lot of oil, synthetic is more than fine, it is by far a superior lubricant.

Is this a reflection on the viscosity of synthetic or the cost of it?

Thanks


Kevin
1965 Chevy C10 Longbed Fleetside
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
The viscosity is not an index of load capacity, film strength, "slippery-ness", or bearing protection.
It's the thickness: how much can pass through a sized orifice per second at a given temperature. Paint, molten metal, and maple syrup may have the same viscosity.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Yep that's true.
Water works for bearings, but it can't stand the heat in an engine. In fact there are circulating pumps for heating systems that are lubricated by the pumped water.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
If you like Shell Rotella get the T4 it has enough zinc for flat tappet cams too.
Lots of options but stay away from synthetics if you have been running dino oils in the past. IMHO


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Originally Posted by sstock
Lots of options but stay away from synthetics if you have been running dino oils in the past. IMHO
I have yet to hear a first hand story about leaky seals when changing from dino to synthetic. Usually, it's "My second cousin's brother in law's uncle........" Just saying. ohwell


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Buy 30 weight Valvoline VR-1 from Amazon.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Notice that 30 weight is not listed in the original specs.
Why? A joke:
"The number before the W of a multi-weight oil (or the only number of a single weight oil) is the time in seconds it takes for full pressure to reach the farthest bearing in the engine".
5W30: 5 seconds
20W50: 20 seconds
50: 50 seconds
As mileage increases leakage from the bearings, it takes even longer...

Heavy weight oil is a good idea, if the oil and the engine are both at 212 degrees when you start it.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Originally Posted by klhansen
I have yet to hear a first hand story about leaky seals when changing from dino to synthetic. Usually, it's "My second cousin's brother in law's uncle........" Just saying. ohwell


Go ahead and give it a try then, I just wrote that because it did happen to me in my 94 ford pickup.

Last edited by sstock; 02/23/2020 1:10 AM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,992
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,992
When I put the 283 back in my 2 ton I filled it with Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic 'cause that's what I had on hand. I did not do any machine work on the engine, just a cam, lifters, gears and chain that I took out of a 350 from a prior build. I cleaned the oil pump screen, new front seal, pan gasket, intake gasket, left the original rope seal in the rear main. No leaks and it runs great with no smoke. I also was concerned about running synthetic in it but I have no worries now.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 40
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 40
I used full synth for the first time in anything about a month ago. Put it in my wife's escalade and liked it so much I put it in everything I have including 1946 Chevy 2 ton. It really smoothed the 46 out the most. Much quieter, idles and runs smoother and stronger. Leaks, well it still leaks but cant really tell the diff on that. Starts up at zero degrees just like it did at 70.

Pat


1946 PW Grain truck, 1966 C10 long stepside, 1972 C20 Custom Camper Big Block, 1975 C10 Silverado OE big block.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Originally Posted by 78buckshot
When I put the 283 back in my 2 ton I filled it with Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic 'cause that's what I had on hand. I did not do any machine work on the engine, just a cam, lifters, gears and chain that I took out of a 350 from a prior build. I cleaned the oil pump screen, new front seal, pan gasket, intake gasket, left the original rope seal in the rear main. No leaks and it runs great with no smoke. I also was concerned about running synthetic in it but I have no worries now.

Believe rope seals fair better against synthetics than neoprene seals on the rear mains, no empirical data just my own thinking.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0