The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1347592 02/23/2020 3:19 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Guys,

I think my wife and I are done with the Ah-ooo-Gah Horn. We had it in our 37 and now in out 49 pickup. Looking for a nice low tone horn for our 49 pickup. We kinda like the looks of the horns in the pics. I assume they come from the 30's or 40's. Show us what do you have in your AD?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1582470002298.jpg (27.52 KB, 260 downloads)
50-Chevy-V8.jpg (74.18 KB, 256 downloads)


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 29
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 29
That looks like the one on my 48

harv #1347605 02/23/2020 5:13 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by harv
That looks like the one on my 48
What year is the horn in your 48?


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
Those horns are correct for '47-'52 (maybe a little later, not sure).


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
As usual, Carl is correct.

The switch to a single "sea shell" style horn on the intake manifold took place in 1953.
In 1954, the single "sea shell" style horn was mounted low, forward of the radiator housing (it cannot easily be seen)..

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Thanks for the info guys.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Does anybody make an aftermarket horn of this style?


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 128
S
Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 128
olezippi,

This horn may not be aftermarket, but I did a quick search on eBay and I believe this is close to what is in your pictures.

Go to eBay and type in "Original 1947-53 Chevrolet GMC Pickup Truck Trumpet Horn 6V OEM Delco GM".

...and Tim, thanks for helping to confirm that the horn on my truck is most likely original to my truck. It is the "sea shell" type and located exactly as you described.


Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
Former owner of a 1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic
"To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
SmithLakeChevy,

A warning/heads-up to members looking for a "sea shell" type horn for a truck:

The attachment studs on the similar car "sea shell" horns are in a different location on the horn-body compared the stud-location on the "sea shell" horns used on trucks (used on trucks as regular equipment in 53-55st and used in the truck accessory/optional dual horns in several Advance-Design years).

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 128
S
Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by tclederman
SmithLakeChevy,

A warning/heads-up to members looking for a "sea shell" type horn for a truck:

The attachment studs on the similar car "sea shell" horns are in a different location on the horn-body compared the stud-location on the "sea shell" horns used on trucks (used on trucks as regular equipment in 53-55st and used in the truck accessory/optional dual horns in several Advance-Design years).
Duly noted.


Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
Former owner of a 1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic
"To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by SmithLakeChevy
olezippi,

This horn may not be aftermarket, but I did a quick search on eBay and I believe this is close to what is in your pictures.

Go to eBay and type in "Original 1947-53 Chevrolet GMC Pickup Truck Trumpet Horn 6V OEM Delco GM".

...and Tim, thanks for helping to confirm that the horn on my truck is most likely original to my truck. It is the "sea shell" type and located exactly as you described.
Thanks. I saw that one. I was unable to contact the seller.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by SmithLakeChevy
olezippi,

This horn may not be aftermarket, but I did a quick search on eBay and I believe this is close to what is in your pictures.

Go to eBay and type in "Original 1947-53 Chevrolet GMC Pickup Truck Trumpet Horn 6V OEM Delco GM".

...and Tim, thanks for helping to confirm that the horn on my truck is most likely original to my truck. It is the "sea shell" type and located exactly as you described.
I went back to the link you gave above this morning an when I click on contact seller it will not let me sign on through Ebay or Facebook. I can sign on to both but when I try it through the ad it won't let me. I thinking it's a scam so I give up on that one.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 128
S
Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 128
Olezippi,

I started a new thread and placed a link in the eBay and Craigslist links forum for the horn and it appears to be working. I did not see the problem, but I did not actually try to contact the seller. (I pulled it up but did not go through with contacting the seller it since I do not actually need the horn.) If it does appear to be a scam though then eBay needs to know about it.

Good luck.


Cruisin' in the Passing Lane
Former owner of a 1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic
"To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by SmithLakeChevy
Olezippi,

I started a new thread and placed a link in the eBay and Craigslist links forum for the horn and it appears to be working. I did not see the problem, but I did not actually try to contact the seller. (I pulled it up but did not go through with contacting the seller it since I do not actually need the horn.) If it does appear to be a scam though then eBay needs to know about it.

Good luck.
Thanks man. I was able to contact the seller.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
That horn on Flebay has sold. Still on the search for a good working 47 thru 53 horn.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
I'm pretty sure I have what you are looking for on a 48 1-1/2 ton.
I'll check it today and then PM you if I do.

Don
Attachments
1948 chevy 007.jpg (337.06 KB, 79 downloads)


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Is one of these what you are looking for.
The price will sound way high BUT, you have to take the complete truck with it!
PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

Don
Attachments
IMG_2574[1].JPG (276.28 KB, 81 downloads)
IMG_2576[1].JPG (307.67 KB, 82 downloads)
IMG_2575[1].JPG (287.55 KB, 80 downloads)
1948 2-ton 003.jpg (194.15 KB, 81 downloads)
1948 chevy 045.jpg (391.67 KB, 82 downloads)


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
2-Ton #1348459 03/01/2020 7:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Thanks for all the replays fellows. I have a horn on the way.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I watch a youtube post called goonzquad and they installed a semi horn and they had to move the spare to have room to install it under the truck.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
2ton, red truck looks nice.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Well Ed, I guess I like the color red!
I even married a Redhead!

Good to hear Ole that you found the one you wanted.
Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Congrats on obtaining your new Horn....


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0