The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, Still At It), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
What would happen if a disc/drum cylinder was used in a drum/drum system?


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
You would need a proportioning valve.

Like This

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/631290/10002/-1

Chris

Last edited by ndkid275; 02/18/2020 2:11 AM.
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
Tommy,
My understanding is that if you would be sending heavy brake fluid pressure to the wheel cylinder, which a disk brake caliper could handle fine after a certain degree of brake pressure.
The proportioning valve is supposed the govern the pressure going to the wheel cylinders brake side. Without you could comprise the line and get a possible leak...

Steve


1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,804
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,804
The only real difference is the size of the reservoir chambers. A disc brake reservoir is larger because more fluid is needed to operate the large diameter pistons of the calipers. The portion of the MC that operates the calipers will also need a much lower pressure residual pressure valve, 1 or 2 PSI instead of the 10 PSI or so that the drum brake wheel cylinders need to keep the cylinder cups expanded and avoid air leaks.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
What are you planning to do?

I have a Camaro rear end and Camaro disc brakes up front. So, I used a Camaro m/c. I'm pleased with the brakes because they work well because everything matches.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
I'm updating the master cylinder on my truck, I have drum brakes. I some times think about putting disc brakes on the front and was thinking I would just put the disc/drum master on now . Howe ver I will due the drum/drum master.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Not sure how you would handle the pressure differential between disc vs drum.
Generally, drum brakes require about 400 to 500 psi, discs 800 to 900 psi. So the disc side of the master cylinder runs at about twice the drum side. Some modern disc run 1500psi to the discs.

Proportioning valve manages the pressure front to back in disc/drum.

If disc/drum master was used in drum/drum .........front drums would lock up prematurely and be super sensitive.

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
I put disks up front on my 47 and a new dual reservoir master cylinder. Not power. I've got to push the pedal pretty hard and far down but it stops just fine. Opp said I didn't need a proportioning valve. Is there a way to check if I'm getting proper braking front and rear?

Sorry to jack your thread Tommy, seemed relevant tho.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Find a limited traction road-ice, mud, etc., have a buddy stand on the side and watch which wheel locks up first when brakes are applied hard.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Just take your truck to a local empty parking lot and stand on the brakes from about 30 mph. You should have even braking if everything is right. Likely you are going to have rear wheel lock up due to the weight bias to the front. The " simple " solution is to add an adjustable proportioning valve back by the rear axle. Then do some more brake testing while adjusting the valve till you get hardly any lock up but still have adequate stopping power. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Purple-Adjustable-Brake-Proportioning-Valve,23498.html I use this same valve, it does what it suppose to do, limits the pressure to the rear brakes.

Last edited by Joe H; 02/29/2020 3:16 PM.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
GM and Toyota have a factory proportioning valve hooked to the rear axle so when the rear end sinks down due to a load, the pressure to the rear brakes is increased.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
Thanks Guys

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
I have stock drum/drum brakes on my 64GMC 1/2 ton, the PO put on a dual master cylinder and I recently installed a full size vacuum booster to make it power brakes. This system is very adequate/safe for any old truck running around empty, which is my situation. I dont think I would consider the expense vs benefit to be worthwhile to put front disc on unless you are hauling loads or trailers/campers.

Last edited by sstock; 03/03/2020 3:25 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Update, I put the modern dual master cylinder on and everything works fine drum/drum cylinder. Only one problem, the mount that I purchased from CPP included a push rod for the master cylinder that was to short. I ordered another that was longer and cut to fit, just a small delay. You would think CPP would know the short rod doesn't work, I'm sure I haven't been the only person to have that problem.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0