The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (ronsway, Hotrod Lincoln), 126 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,312
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Would it be a mistake to use shrink wrap and bundle the wires?


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
The accordion-type wire loom with a split lengthwise is simpler to install. Just use a couple of wraps of electrician's plastic tape every few inches to keep it closed up. It comes in several diameters and is sold by the foot on Ebay.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Thanks, that is what was used on the truck and it makes the engine bay look so much nicer but I did not want to cause any problems.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
You would need a pretty big heat shrink tube for some of it... use the split stuff. They also make a special tape for wire harnesses.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I never liked the split type. That is why I was hoping to find something else.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,502
All the kids want to everything to be wireless these days, Ron. That would tidy it up a lot, you know. Let us know how that works if you give it a go.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,366
Google wire tuck or "wire tuck images". I did a mild one on a lit'l red roadster. Some have basically gone "wireless" as Jon said.


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
That split accordion style or the spiral wrapped loom is about the only covering that you can install after the fact. If you are building a new harness you can pull the wires through plastic tubing which may be more what you are looking for. It is available in many sizes according to how many wires are in the bundle.

Last edited by 59 fleet; 01/31/2020 3:53 AM.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
I use the split accordion style stuff. I use tie wraps to hold it all together instead of tape.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
You could always do it like we did in the Air Force back in the dark ages- - - - -waxed string in a series of loops. The Quality Control gnomes used to measure how far apart the loops were and write us up if we didn't get them evenly spaced!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
If you have deep pockets and don't want to use the split stuff, go get a huge roll of heat shrink wrap. you might have to remove the connectors though, to get the wires inside. Honestly, it would be a lot of work with very little benefit.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Speaking of the Air Force. You need to loom it according to Mil-T-FP41c. We used to specify that on drawings of parts for the Military.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
This is a little off-topic but since I started it, it is ok. wink. Speaking of Air Force, my brother served for 23 years and now his granddaughter is serving also. She was posted to Florida right after basic and served a 7 months deployment to the middle east. Now she is going to the Washington DC area. The point of this is how do they expect a Staff Sgt. to pay $2400.00 a month for an apartment?


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Unless she is on “Separate Rations” the Air Force provides housing. At least that’s how it was 1965-1969.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
You can use Wire Loom Tape

Last edited by Phak1; 01/31/2020 2:15 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Thanks Phak, I used to have some stuff that was used to re-wrap harnesses. It was like electrical tape, but not cloth and not sticky.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Be carful where you buy your loom. They make a high temp loom for engine bays. I buy my loom from “Del City”. They.have several different kinds of loom also. They have a lot of electrical stuff we use on our trucks..


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Martin, She owns a home in Florida, her last duty station, I think it will be leased out. Most of her duty stations will be for 6 years, her grandfather's were. I said I would reenlist for Germany and I was told I would be back in Viet Nam before my wife would catch up with me. So I got out.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Originally Posted by Rusty Rod
Thanks Phak, I used to have some stuff that was used to re-wrap harnesses. It was like electrical tape, but not cloth and not sticky.
This is what I was going to suggest. A plastic (non adhesive) wrap for harnesses.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
I went on JEGS and purchased a heat resistant braided wire covering. You just put the wires in it and put a zip tie around it. I like it. I can take a picture if you would like.

Chris

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 108
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 108
Del City tape looks like stock wiring loom tape.


1958 Chevrolet 3600 NAPCO 4x4 Apache
"Calvin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,320
I was looking at this stuff , a local manufacturing company donates to our restore and there are a couple of big rolls for 50.00 each but I looked it up and unless it is different it is not too expensive to buy as I need it as I don’t need a lifetime roll of it
Attachments


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0