I have blocked off my oil pump supply and my bypass passage. Also the dipstick. Does anyone know of anybody that makes a distributor block off plate for a 292? I just need to plug the hole. I can find them for V8's. Thank you for your time.
My search found nothing. Maybe time to head to the machine shop.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
It's probably a stupid question, but why would you want to block off the distributor opening? Don't you NEED a distributor? Or are you converting to some sort of distributor-less electronic ignition using a cam sensor or similar?
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
I have direct fire ignition with crank trigger. I think it will be here tomorrow. Just a crank sensor, a control box and 6 coils. Thanks guys I will probably just make one like everything else.
I have direct fire ignition with crank trigger. I think it will be here tomorrow. Just a crank sensor, a control box and 6 coils. Thanks guys I will probably just make one like everything else.
Thanks, that explains it.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
He's using a dry sump oil pan and pick up, the pump is externally driven. Search some of mick53's posts, it's a very cool build.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
This is my oil pump. The screw adjust the oil pressure that remains constant. There is also a fitting on the back that drives the cable drive fuel pump. This is driven by a pulley on the crankshaft. Four hoses go to the oil pan. There is no oil in the pan. It is stored in a 3 gal remote tank. The pump creates a vacuum in the crankcase to stop windage and help the rings seal better. The oil is on a thermostat like your radiator for quick warm up. You can also put an oil preheater on it if you want to start with warm oil. They say 80% of engine wear happens before your engine reaches temp. Hope that helps to explain it. Thank you for your time.
I had forgotten that, I seen those pictures earlier. Freeze plug down the hole would be fast and easy, or a machined plug with o-ring seal. Make the plug long, slot the bottom, drill a hole down the center, and thread a wedge to pull up into the slots with bolt down center. You would end up with plug and single bolt showing, o-ring seal and fingers wedging it into place.
I see dollar signs $$$$$, lots of dollar signs $$$$$.$$.
Last edited by TUTS 59; 02/01/20203:56 PM.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
If you haven't mounted the oil pan yet just thread the distributor hole and fit it with a pipe plug.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
As said before - - - may - be use a smaller size freeze plug .
I did see a picture of your engine with the carbs & blower attached . mick - - would you have a photo of the right side of your engine with that same set - up ?
just checking - - - - and, a very cool 292 . . . . . . Best of luck with your whole build .
As said before - - - may - be use a smaller size freeze plug .
I did see a picture of your engine with the carbs & blower attached . mick - - would you have a photo of the right side of your engine with that same set - up ?
just checking - - - - and, a very cool 292 . . . . . . Best of luck with your whole build .
later, jim
Things have changed since then. I have a 12 port crossflow aluminum head from New Zealand being machined now. It's the first of it's kind. 10 years in R&D. same 4-71 blower and 3-2bbl carbs.