Been away for some years, No not locked up :), and I'm kinda sorta attempting to get back to where I left off...Rebuilding the engine and some body work to name a few, but I am curious if anyone on here has seen this type of bumper on a 55 1st? Little history, belonged to my Grandpa which he used for his furniture business and it made its way to me several years ago. Never quite payed attention to the rear bumper much until I noticed it is unlike any I've seen here. Kind of split on keeping it, what do you guys think on how it looks?
Those are actually pretty common. My '51 had one similar to that, but without the braces up to the stake pockets. It was bent, so it got the heave ho. I don't like the way they attach to the rear fenders. A small bumper tap buggers up the fender as well.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
klhansen and tclederman, appreciate the replies...I will have to get under there and see if there are any other support brackets/braces that give it added strength; in case of a slight tag that would damage the fenders? I'm not doing a full resto on it , so I may just keep it seeing as you mentioned that they were pretty common. I was under the impression that it was some kind of "Frankenstein" bumper since I had never seen one, but then again, I mainly focus on my year truck for the most part. Thank you much...
Also depends on how much of a purist you are. Since it was a family truck you may want to leave it the way it is, since that's how your Grandpa had it. But, of course, that's entirely up to you.
Kato Having grown up in central Cally in the 60's & 70's, I have seen many 50's to mid 60's trucks with that type of bumper. In fact it seems that it was the norm to have one on the rear of your truck. Don't know where this name came from--but we always called them 'Barden' bumpers. Many trucks appear to have been sold, new with out rear bumpers, thus the dealerships sold many Barden bumpers as add on's. They are heavy duty & worked well----if they weren't so ugly compared to factory bumpers. delky dave in WYO
It is an aftermarket bumper often installed by the dealer. On many of the trucks back in that era a rear bumper was optional. These bumpers usually has a place for a trailer ball as well. There were many bent rear fenders though due to the design of the steps on the side. Often these were put on work trucks or ranch trucks. It looks like it is in pretty good shape. Jim
I remember them being called "Barden Bumpers" as well. I saw many with the dealer name welded into it with a raised bead.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I'm thinking I might leave it as is since it is in pretty good shape...been on there I'd say for about 40 plus years or so? It does have a tow ball and I do recall my Grandpa pulling a trailer at the time. I believe the support bar that attaches from the bumper to the stake pocket gives it some rigidness as I believe them fenders are original. It needs a good amount of work and I only wish I were closer to retirement so I could speed up the time it will take me to get her on the rode again! In due time I guess, in due time... I do thank you all for chiming in and helping me out with the bumper identification! I'll post some pics of how she looks presently as soon as I recall how the heck I did it?? It took some trial and error and it posted, but I don't recall how I done it? (had to resize, send it here, send it there, download; somehow it worked)
Nice to hear that you're going to hang on to it, imo those bumpers give the trucks extra character. My '49 has one, I've even started collecting a few. Love seeing the different styles, either aftermarket or homemade.