The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nhluvstruck, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, DHedrick, Ponchogl, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1342945 01/20/2020 3:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 37
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 37
Hello. I need some guidance on shocks for my 47 3100. I have it stripped down to the frame right now. I want to put everything back mostly original but don't care if the shocks are or not. The front has what appears to be the original shocks that came on the truck so I am sure they need to be replaces. Someone had replaced the rear end and the rear shocks were missing when I bought the truck. I will not be driving it across country or anything just local. What would be the easiest and most cost effective was to proceed.


1947 3100
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 393
I have a '47 1/2 ton which I plan to switch over to modern style tube shocks. Many on the site have done this and have found that the ride improves. The knee action lever shocks can be rebuilt or bought new ($220 to $245 per shock. These are single action) Sometimes just adding new oil in the knee action lever shocks is needed to make them work. Jim Carter's site states that the originals will outlast the tube shocks 4 to 1. Search vendors' sites and do a search here. There is a lot of information and opinions available.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 01/20/2020 6:01 PM.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The best way is to get the brackets off a 50 or newer truck & change to tube shocks, I believe they have conversion kits available.
I have put oil in the old lever shocks & they work pretty good.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
If you can rebuild the knee action shocks, they will work just as well as the later tube shocks.
This is due to the fact that the tube shocks used on these leaf spring trucks don't do much to improve the ride anyway.
I suppose they may help a little bit. I had the lower tube shock bolt fall out on one side in the rear, leaving it hanging freely, but did not notice any difference in ride quality before or after replacing the lost bolt.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret.
I have put oil in the old lever shocks & they work pretty good.
George

Hydraulic oil? Is there an opening valve or something that makes it clear where to put the oil in?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
This may answer some of the lever shock questions for you.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/albums/72157703242887021

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 395
Wow, Great info! Fun to read thru.

The article recommends using "Shock insulating fluid." I found several forum threads including the AACA recommended using hydraulic jack fluid.
Unless you can find this:
Attachments
27062031_1.jpg (127.47 KB, 77 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 56
Brad - Thank you for posting that link. Very Nice~


1948 1/2 Ton 6-volt 216

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0