The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (wilbur53, burgundybolt, Jack Ryan, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1337644 12/14/2019 5:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Is their such thing as a 1964 Chevrolet C10 4x4? The truck is registered as a C10 and is 4WD is that possible? The vin On frame and cab match and their is no sign of modifications. Is this possible? Or a NAPCO?


Robert Ariasa
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Hello, Robert,

That information should-be/might-be available somewhere in the 1964 Chevrolet Truck Specifications Manual.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,416
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,416
I think it should be either a CK10 or a K10. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
whats the VIN on the frame?
Is there a spec sticker inside of glove box door?
How is the vin tag on driver door fastened? Could very easily been moved.
I may be completely naive but Cs were 2WD and Ks were factory 4WD and the VIN will tell the story.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
That link that Tim posted tells the story. If it's a factory 4x4, the 2nd digit in the VIN will be K. If 2WD it will be C.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks for the info tclederman


Robert Ariasa
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Both the vin on the cab and on the frame are the same
Only C


Robert Ariasa
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What is/are your "vins"?
And, where did you find them?

There was no standardized 17 digit VIN in 1964.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Sorry Tim. That page in your link indicated that it was a "Serial Number". I guess I'm the one that used the term VIN.

on edit: Wait, it was Hambone that first used VIN in this thread. I'm off the hook. wink
on edit again: Nope, it was the OP who first used vin. I'm off the hook again. grin

Last edited by klhansen; 12/14/2019 11:43 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
I will take that hit. But if the number on the frame has a "c" it was delivered as a 2WD. 4WD added later. I think you will find bolted on suspension brackets and other evidence of changes.
If you care to throw some pictures up of the suspension, front axle and transfer case and frame number, I suspect we might be able to derive some history.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
V
Moderated
Moderated
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
It should be 2WD since it's a C.


..
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I also think the frames are different. The 2WD has an X frame and the 4WD has a ladder frame. Right?
I agree with the others about the C or K in serial number.


Professional Novice
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
It’s a truck that is for sale. Infact it might of got sold. My understanding is C is 2wd and K is 4wd but the gentleman is telling me they made C’s into 4x4s I guess like a NAPCO. I’m not sure lol.


Robert Ariasa
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
I'm pretty sure that the C and K frames were both ladder type. It wouldn't be that hard to bolt on 4x4 front suspension on a 2WD truck. In fact, I doubt that ANY truck used an X frame.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
The 1960 C10 frame is an X frame also supported with outside frame rails. It isn't a typical X frame as on a 1964 impala (for example), but is often referred to as an X frame.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Please see link to 1960 Brochure which shows two frame designs - one for 4x2 and another for 4x4.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stat...evrolet%20Pickups%20Brochure/image4.html
And I thought that design continued thru 1966, but I guess I was mistaken. See link
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stat...20Pickups%20Brochure%20(Rev)/image4.html
Since the 2WD and 4WD frames are essentially the same, then a C10 could be converted to 4X4 as others have suggested. Whether NAPCO or not I don't know, though I have read of some NAPCO trucks being built into the 70s. You could visit the NAPCO Facebook page for more info.


Professional Novice
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
C= 2WD, K= 4WD. The title and the Vin plate need to match. The vin plate needs to show original attachment, never removed. Then there is the frame stamp. That stamp may just have the numbers and not the C/K. At any rate, the truck is not a NAPCO. There are no 1/2 T Napco's after 1959. The are not called Napcos. They are factory 4X4's. (K10)(K14)(K15)
Before 1960 there are Dealer Napcos, DIY Napco's, upfitter Napco's and factory Napco's. All legit if built with the kit, on or around the time period. Lots of so-called Napcos built from donor parts, etc. Some under the name "restored". It was pretty easy because all the trucks had the same chassis with leaf spings. Then when independent front suspension/rear coil came along there had to be two different chassis. C and K, etc. This truck is one of those mysteries that has to be investigated to get the true story. You may see where the independent front suspension was removed and leaf springs added. The rear trailing arms, and etc., would be converted to leaf. It could have been built any number of ways. It also depends on the components and other tell tale features. The factory 4x4 in 60-66 used the same basic drivetrain as the former Napco's (divorced transfer case/3 drive shafts). All kinds of VIN swaps, frame swaps, chassis swaps, illegal swaps and legit DIY swaps have been done. K designation started in 1960.
Most likely this truck is a clone, a latter day conversion.

Frank50, I do not see any 4WD chassis pics in your links.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I agree with Bartamos, the independent front suspension started in 1960 and it killed the ability of converting a "C" truck into a "K" truck by the dealer or owner, thus eliminating any third party competition. The only way to get a GM 4X4 was to buy/order it that way...no more DIY'ers.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Bartamos , thank for the very valuable information. I appreciate it


Robert Ariasa
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Sorry guys I muddied the water. The link to the 1960 brochure shows 2 types of chassis/frames. The print was so small, I did not read it correctly. The ladder frame with rear leafs is for the C30. My bad.


Professional Novice
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
So surfer, What's up? You find that truck yet? I am intrigued and following your search for a 64-66 K10.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
I’m going to move this along to the 60-66 Forum for future search activity.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by Frank50
I also think the frames are different. The 2WD has an X frame and the 4WD has a ladder frame. Right?
I agree with the others about the C or K in serial number.
Those 2wd X frames with the front torsion bar suspension ran from 1960 to 1962. They changed to coil springs up front and a ladder frame in 1963 and stayed with that basic frame through 1972.

I've seen quite a few c10's and c20's converted to 4wd by removing the coil spring suspension and bolting/welding on leaf springs. My first truck was a '63 that someone had swapped on the springs and axles from a late '50's napco after removing the '63 front and rear suspension.

My most recent acquisition was titled as a '63 k10, but had a 4-5-6 cab, 350 th350 np208 from a square body, and axles from a squarebody. The frame and springs turned out to be factory '63 k10 that was just continually updated and changed through the years with different axles, engines, transmissions, transfer cases, and major body components.

Sometimes it's hard to tell with just pictures, and you just have to crawl under the truck to see what's been done.


Liquidated my projects
Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0