Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (fonz8261, Hotrod Lincoln, TexasJim50, TUTS 59, Jay R, TooMany2count, amtrakjoe),
78
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,416 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 112 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 112 | just got through rebuilding the front end and replacing uprights with lowered ones on my 49'(yeah,sedan I'm sorry,that is my project for now,besides the truck runs good so I aint mess'n with it)After I got through there was a few small parts left over that didnt get put in.I studied on it a while and the parts arn't real crucial to keeping the front end together so they remain out,I also had a helluva time with the pass. side,well after two days(8hrs per day)of full reign of an up todate machanical facillity I'm through!BUT for some reason I kinda have douts about my front end job,dont know why?I have done this before with no life threatening consiquinces,HAS ANY ONE ELSE DONE A JOB ON THEIR RIDE AND FOR SOME REASON YOU JUST HAD STRANGE UNTRUSTING FEELING AFTER YOU WORKED YOUR BUT OFF ON IT?
1949 Styleline Special 1972 K5 Blazer
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | yeah i get that feeling once in a while when i do something major. it usually goes away after i drive around and discover that i did it right after al. but i know the feling that you are talking about.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Leftover parts just mean you have a start on the next project!
First motor I rebuilt I used to picture the rods and rod bolts in motion as I went down the road. I always pictured them coming through the side of the pan...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | I've got left over parts...
I've got 6 left over Chevy big block connecting rods, the good "pink" rod, as they used to be called. I damaged two of them in a 427 mishap last year and replaced them with a new set of forged rods. I never knew what to do with the extra 6 rods that were undamaged.
Know what though? They'd make really strong stovebolt connecting rods. It's a thought.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | Yah supposed tah put em up on the wall in tha garage as a trofee or decorum.  | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Or have on the shelf along with all my fragged gears and ripped up racing stall converters.
Before I'd use these rods, I'd have them magnufluxed, of course, but they might be an excellent choice for a stove bolt build up, since there are six good ones left.
I'd build up my 235 just out of curiosity, and probably build it for turbocharging, but I think a roots blown 400 would be easier and cheaper probably.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | How long are the BB rods? They MIGHT be too short for an inline engine. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 |
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | I always get that bad feeling when I think I didn't clean the bare metal well enough after I have sprayed 10 layers of primer and am ready for final paint. I have nightmares that I didn't wipe the corners and there is dirt ready to turn to rust under my new paint. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 | I always tell myself they couldn't have been that important or I would've found a spot for them. Oh well only time will tell!
38 original 48 panel 59 stepside 46 in the back forty
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Whenever I end up with spare parts,it brings the question that's become my byline-"HMmmm--what can I make outta these?" Speed | | |
| |