The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, papas52, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, ronsway, 2 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,340
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
Where can I get bed wood for my ’47 1 ton panel truck? The wood is in good shape, but there is one soft spot at the rear doors. I have looked on several websites that sell bed wood, but I haven’t been able to find long bed panel wood.


1947.2 Chevy Panel Truck 1-ton
In Project Journals
In the DITY Gallery
1955.2 Chevy Suburban
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Call Mar-K.....they do great work and if need be they can probably cut you one special order if needed. check them out in the bed forum.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
I didn’t know about the bed forum, Thanks!
I gave Mar-k’s robot all my info. They got back to me about using their special request form. The form mentions “We cannot make boards wider than 9" or longer than 107". My panel Truck is in the shop, so I’ll have to wait to get the measurements. I found some dimensions but it’s hard to tell if it’s 106 or 108, and that’s just the cargo area, not specifically the wood.
Chevs of the 40’s has Long bed Pine Wood, and lists the 1947 ES Panel, but every other truck is on the list too. Bob’s Chevy Trucks has 1-ton long bed stepside, and mentions “Fits 107 1/4" Truck Beds”
I’d like to salvage the bed wood if I can. It is not warped, my biggest fear is putting in new wood and it warps. I saw that Mar-k kiln dries the show quality Oak, not sure if the Pine is treated the same.


1947.2 Chevy Panel Truck 1-ton
In Project Journals
In the DITY Gallery
1955.2 Chevy Suburban
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
You can call Mar-K and speak directly with a Tech. They will happily answer all your questions. Phone # is on the website.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 186
Bed wood and parts out of Kentucky can make what ever you need also.


Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
My '57 panel looks like it's just one big piece of plywood versus slats. Is that correct?


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 35
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 35
Hi I just picked up a 57 3105 panel that needs a floor bed . I am also trying to find out if it was a one piece floor with grooves for metal slats. Can’t seem to get an answer even from a truck bed makers. Any info?


57 3105 Panel
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 324
From what I have read, I think it is just one big sheet of plywood. I found a picture(attached) of a '57 that does have the metal strips. btw, I think I'll keep the original wood for my '47 panel truck. It's in decent condition. I may need to repair the middle pieces near the back.
Attachments
57Bedwood1.PNG (371.09 KB, 139 downloads)


1947.2 Chevy Panel Truck 1-ton
In Project Journals
In the DITY Gallery
1955.2 Chevy Suburban
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 35
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 35
All good. Thanks


57 3105 Panel
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
If you are talking about the solid wood floorboards on the art deco early 47 trucks, you can probably get a cabinetmaker or woodworker to make some for you. At some point in time the floorboards became plywood and assembled before the body went on. If they are solid wood, use the old ones to use as patterns for holes and the contour of the sides. The problem will be the metal hold down strips. They can probably be custom made. I contacted a place once several years ago, that gave some ridiculous excuse as to why it was impossible, because there wasn't room in the shop to do strips that much longer. So my point is you will have to shop around a little. That is if you can't save your originals. The hardware kits are available also, but you may have to buy a couple more bolts because of the length. I haven't researched that at this point, nor have I decided that regular carriage bolts couldn't do the job too. I think I may have the dimensions of the boards somewhere and will check to see. You may find them with a search.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
I just re read your initial post. All cabinet grade lumber is kiln dried. It has to be. My plan is to buy lumber from my usual supplier, plan it to thickness and use my old boards as patterns. The width of the boards excuse is a weak one. Lumber is available in all widths. The expensive part comes in the grading of the lumber. You will need to buy Select, meaning no Knots. This bumps up the price. If you are not a woodworker, have the person doing it buy the materials. Easier that way than doing it yourself.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
I got a hold of Mar-K in Oklahoma the techs name was Amy she helped me out with the correct forms to order the wood and rails for my 49” 3800 panel with 113” boards. While there are 11 boards narrowest is 4” and the widest board is 6.5”. I got under the panel to measure to actual widths as I dint want to take it all apart yet. I have seen a truck that had plywood then they routed grooves to make it look like individual boards this won’t work for mine or yours as getting a single sheet 5’x10’ in the panel would be a fun task (not) I looked at buying the red oak boards at a big box store and after I did the math on the boards that I would have to buy over width just to get the right widths and the time on the table saw cutting the grooves correctly to was cheaper to order from Mar-K

Hope this helps
Tophat 🎩


Tophat

1950 4400
1949 3100
1946 2 ton flatbed
1949 3800 panel
1952 3100 panel (newest one)

Queen Creek AZ
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Probably hard to find in AZ, but a boat builder/repairer supply company would probably have longer (and wider) "marine grade" plywood.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0