The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, baldeagle, Gazz), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,097
Posts1,056,495
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
I want/need more speed and power in my 53. I had a 64 chevy LWB with a 230, 3speed, and 4:11 gears that was plenty powerful for me. Just some facts, my 53 it has a 235, original 3 on the tree, TT, and original rearend. It is a frame off restoration done by me. It's all original looking except for the color of paint and the wheels, no modifications, just new parts. I would like to swap the engine for a later 230 or 250 (perhaps a 292). I would like to keep the 3 on the tree though. I wouldn't mind tossing out the TT and changing the rearend. This truck is 5 day a week driver. Here's the catch, I am an amature. I have pulled and engine before, I just haven't messed around with motor mounts, crossmembers, spring perches and so on... Any tips on any swaps would be great. I know many people have done this here so any "I would do this again", "I wouldn't do it like this", "I wish I did it like this" comments would be great. I have read up on the T5 swaps and that may easily be a possibility since my 235 really doesnt run bad (..and I have 5 other 235's and 216's laying around). Thanks Much!

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
What I'd do is try to rebuild it to squeeze more power out of it. Hot Rod mag did an interesting article on that a few months back. If you can get something with more of a stroke and more displacement, like that 292, I'd do that.

In fact, an EFI system might be perfect for one of these engines.

Anyway, I would think the other engines would bolt right in place of your 235. But maybe you should have a knowledgeable machinist rebuild one of your engines for you. Try to use newer technology parts if you can. I hear you can rebuild these things for about 300 hp, which really would make a difference in seat of the pants feel.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
chuckthe,

Your site is a "must see" for anyone working on
these trucks. Great pictures and detailed instructions on all the aspects of a rebuild...funny too!


Stuart

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 175
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 175
Have you thought about building a 261? The swap would be pretty much a direct bolt. Putting in a modern six is just as difficult as putting in a small block. A 261 with a mild cam, 4 barrel, headers, a little port work, and bumped up compression would run ya along pretty good. It would fit snug as a bug in a rug, and look really original.

Boo


We don't need no stinking V-8s!!
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Thanks Guys! I have looked at chucks website a few times and it has always been a good resource. I am going through it again and am on page 18. Boo, the thought has crossed my mind and if I came across one I would probably go that route. But then again, swapping to a 261 doesn't get me any more speed. Thanks for all the input though!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by Boo Radley:
Putting in a modern six is just as difficult as putting in a small block.
Well not quite. A modern six has all the bellhousing, clutch and mount issues, but not the steering interference issue.

I like the 261 for this one too, though a 270 or 302 GMC would be options also, but keep in mind the front mount issue with a GMC and radiator clearance issues of either the GMC or any '55 or later Chevy motor.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Actually, it would be very simple to get a wider modern truck radiator and mount it right behind the grill, if you wanted more room in the front of the motor. The sheetmetal contour behind the grill makes a very nice start for a fabbed-up fan shroud too.

That's what I plan to do when I convert to a V8.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Mine is a GMC, but its a canadian model so I am not sure if it has more room then the chevys since the GMC's had Chevy engines up here. Not many 270's or 302's around here as far as I know since, again, GMC's had chevy engines. I guess that speed Is a greater priority then power at first. I forgot to mention that I also have a 60 GMC SWB with a good 235, 4 speed, and open rearend (3.90 I think). Would it be worthwhile to put this tranny and rear end in my 53? Would I get more speed? or would it be a pain since I think it has the hydraulic clutch? or should I find another 3 speed with an open yoke? (I'm just throwing out ideas because I need to do something) Thanks for all the input! I'm very grateful.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0