First let me say that I just Joined and that this is my first post, that said I hope that I am posting in the right forum. I have bought a 38 1/2 ton truck and it is missing the grill and I don't know what pieces I need to put it together, I have searched the web to try to find an exploded view of the front sheet metal including the grill, but with no success, and was hoping for a little help here from other owners,... it is complete with fenders attached to the grill housing, but the hood ornament/ front hood hinge was snapped off leaving just the hood hinge part attached to the top of the housing, does anyone have pictures or an exploded view of how the grill and all the bits and pieces go together?... any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
I have some photos of my '38 car. How that would transfer to a truck I don't really know but I think the basics of how it's put together would be much the same. My pics are on my other computer so it'll be tomorrow before I can post any. IF the grill is put together the same as the car you'll have two halves that join in the center with a piece of steel the full height of the grill between the halves. It's call a baffle. As an assembly it connects to the upper and lower baffles as well as along the sides to the core support. I found this on the web.
Last edited by Tiny; 10/04/201911:16 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Also a photo(s) showing what you have will make it easier to determine what you need.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Thank You very much Tiny,... does the front part of hood ornament attach to the top of the grill? or is there another piece of sheet metal covering the top of the grill like a 46 truck?
I'll post images in the morning when I'm on my other computer, the one where my pics are stored. I'll show you how my car is put together. I can't say the truck will be exactly the same but it should be very similar.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
You have an extra grill cowl. The piece at the bottom is where the crank goes thru. There is also a top baffle that has a hole in it for the radiator cap. The front of the hood ornament bolts to the baffle. I had to shorten my top baffle due to using a GMC motor.
Last edited by Wayne67vert; 10/06/20192:41 AM.
Wayne 1938 1-Ton Farm Truck Stovebolt Gallery Forums 1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
Wayne, I notice you don't have the center baffle that goes between the grill halves. Did the truck not have that or did you remove yours? For the OP here's a few pics show the areas of interest on my car. Again I don't know how that translates to the truck. For example the emblem on the car attaches to the grill. If you want pics of specific areas let me know. Once you get your four approved posts you can PM me your cell number and I can text them to you. The images below show, left to right: The aft end of the hood hinge. The center chrome strip is the hood hinge. The connector can be purchased from the on-line part houses if yours is gone. Next, the upper baffle. Next, another look at the aft hinge connection. Next, the bottom left of the image shows the upper baffle and center divider. Next, the core support and lower baffle.
Last edited by Tiny; 10/06/20192:51 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Thank You both very, very much for helping me with your pictures, now I understand how they go together, a picture is truly worth a thousand words..... I am missing just 2 pieces that I will have to track down, the upper baffle and a grill, I do have a center baffle that bolts in between the grill half's… as the partial grill assembly that was with the truck had that intact and on it, but if you know of anyone with an extra upper baffle between the radiator and grill,.. let me know....thank you both again....also I will have a ton of extra parts left over, so if anyone you know need stuff, send them my way, i'd be happy to help anyone out.
Tiny, there wasn't center baffle when I got my truck. It was probably knocked off by the po.
Wayne 1938 1-Ton Farm Truck Stovebolt Gallery Forums 1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!
I used to see upper baffles on ebay from time to time. Be aware that the car and truck baffles are different and probably don't interchange. I have seen car baffles listed as truck baffles.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.