The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1328796 10/04/2019 10:34 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
on my 1948 6400 , I installed a new master cylinder. When I let off the brake petal, the brakes won't completely release. I loosened the brake line coming out of the master cylinder . That relieved the pressure, brakes were free. . So I removed the little valve inside the master cylinder . didn't help. Brakes only reliese when I bleed the line coming out the master cylinder. now what?


I just finished a 1946 chevy pickup street rod
now on a 1950 chevy 3100
.
also a GMC 220 with duals
and a 1948 chevy 2 ton
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
Must be a bad new master cylinder. Its like there is a check valve in that outlet holding the pressure.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
I would also think M/C is at fault..

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
Shorten the master cylinder push rod, until the piston can move back far enough to clear the bleed hole in the bottom of the resevour. If the rod is too long, exactly what you describe happens. There should be a small fountian of brake fluid in the master when the pedal is pushed. Pressure in the master needs somewhere to go when the pedal is released, the bleed hole provides that and allows fluid into the master to compensate for shoe wear.


Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
thanks!


I just finished a 1946 chevy pickup street rod
now on a 1950 chevy 3100
.
also a GMC 220 with duals
and a 1948 chevy 2 ton
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Charles Pretzer, in addition to adjusting the pushrod to the correct length so the master cylinder piston can return to its at rest position I would strongly recommend reinstalling the residual pressure valve you removed from your master cylinder, that will allow the hydraulic system to operate as it was designed to, hope that helps.

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 56
Thanks to all. adjusted pushrod, that fixed the problem . I'll reinstall the valve this P.M.


I just finished a 1946 chevy pickup street rod
now on a 1950 chevy 3100
.
also a GMC 220 with duals
and a 1948 chevy 2 ton
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 330
Sorry, I forgot you had pulled that valve out, yes for sure reinstall it.


Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0