Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,637 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 | Anyone seen/done a volare front clip? I'm thinking of getting a frame that's already been converted/welded. The guy who has it says it's been done correctly and is better than other front clips cause it has a torsion bar setup that is easier to lower. he said I'd have to get the brakes, power steering, etc.. from the bone yard but the sub is all there. What do you guys think. problems I having in my head are wheel fitment issues,bolt patterns, it's not a chevy clip. I don't want to get it all done and take it to a show or something and get laughed at. I heard this is an old school setup though as well and it's acceptable. I know it's my choice on what I do but wanted opinions I guess on what ppl think. Like I think S10 frame swaps look great but I'd never do it cause I don't like that setup, I think it's no longer an old truck it's some bastard crossbreed. Let me know what you guys think please. I don't want my truck looked at like a dodge/chevy crossbreed | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Seen it, Yes. Done it, No. It was/is on my neighbours 59. That truck also had/has a top chop and a 454. Sure made a nice stance. Is everything going to be original except for the clip? or are you going all out? Good Luck. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 | I got the frame today, already welded in and the front rails are boxed. Just need to get it to bare metal and paint. I plan on using a small block 350 or 383 and running a ford 9 inch in the back. I heard ford and dodge use the same bolt patterns on wheels so It seems like a good match. I know NOTHING about doing this so that's why I'm asking any of you guys for help that have seen/done it. My truck was going to get a IFS kit originally but this guy was building this one for a cameo project and he ended up selling the cameo so he still had the frame. I was hoping to run this setup to save money but I'm confused as to where I'm mounting the engine how to get it to come together...first timer over here | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I would suggest hanging the sheetmetal before proceeding further to ensure the position of the clip is correct for you. Going past this point without performing this check, especially since you did not install it, is cheap insurance. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 | Yeah I didn't really think of that but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the suggestion. He said he used homemade templates and that he had a guy with the same front end help him on his. He also said something about with this front clip you also have to move the clip forward or something because if you don't the front wheels look too far back in the wheel well. Now that I think about it he was saying part of why he liked this frnt end was that it's basically "c-notched" in and that the main frame rails are left intact so you don't have to worry about everything not fitting later cause the mounting points for the sheet metal will be in the same place. If anyone can confirm this it would be nice, thanks, kyle | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | If your gonna worry about having a half breed or whatever,better leave everything stock.When I build a car or truck,I could care less what someone else thinks.I do a good job and do it my way.There are several ways to go about independant front suspension.They all work fine if done properly.There is no comparison between IFS and the old stock suspension. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 | Yeah I know that's what all my friends tell me too. I went to Hot Augest Nights over the weekend and was looking for a truck with this setup but didn't find one. It's really hard to find info on this and I'm not getting much of a response here.
I went to a junkyard today and got a quote of like 180 for the front end with everything on it and I need and I was just going to swap over the suspension from the clip to my frame It will all be bolt on since the welding is done already. Seems easy enough.. So I guess I'm still wondering about the wheel bolt pattern. Do you guys know if dodge and ford have the same bolt pattern? I checked out the front end of a dodge aspen which is the same as a volare and it looks pretty cool. Still trying to find out if fatman sells the better front spindles. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 | | | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Most newer truck ford and Dodge 5 bolt patterns are the same as far as I know...but that doesn't really help you. Good Luck. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Any tire shop can tell you what wheels will fit your new front end;have them look up a set of custom wheels for your front end,then,while they have their reference materials handy,ask them what other cars can use that lug pattern.I'd bet the small Fords (early 5 lug Mustang,V-8 Maverick,Bronco 2,small Ford Ranger etc.)would use the same lug pattern. Speed | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 12 | Thanks that is a huge help for me. I've been looking for a week or so for this kind of info. everyone I talk to doesn't know about volare clips and then asks why I'm not using a camero clip, it sucks. Still looking for an article from one of the magazines that had how to do the clip itself. thanks for the help so far stovebolters --kyle | | | | | Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 112 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 112 | Ktech, Go to book store look for How to build Hot Rod Trucks, by Jim clark. Page 20 volare swap, Guy does five five - five nine chevy volare t-bar front end . the swap works well on 53 and later forvs and 55 to 59 chevys. Move center line 1 1/2 inches forward of center line original axle. jbennett 40 burb | | |
| |