The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, 66flea), 152 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,334
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
My 65 C10 has a CPP front disc brake kit instead of front drums. I still have rear drums.
The front disc brakes are not fully releasing. When I leave the house they are fine. After 20 miles or so of in town normal driving/braking, I can feel that the front discs are not fully releasing.
I removed, opened, cleaned and then rebuilt my NEW 1995 Blazer MC today. All seemed ok inside. I also have a 1995 Blazer booster.
I double checked to be sure my pedal push rod was properly adjusted too (it was).
If the problem occurs again I’ll be stumped. I’m still puzzled as to the cause.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/21/2019 1:32 AM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Did you install a proportioning valve?🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Did you install a proportioning valve?🛠
Yes, but it’s only on the rear brakes hard line. It’s a Wilwood adjustable prop valve.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Does your pushrod in the MC have enough clearance when released?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Brake fluid return port plugged would cause that symptom.

On the rebuild did you open the port and it’s possible the cup is covering the port ( various reasons) .
.
Attachments

Last edited by showkey; 09/21/2019 12:52 PM.
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 146
Some MCs have internal check valves inside the front port. I've had to remove them.

Do you have an auxiliary return spring on your pedal arm? The weight of the arm itself could be slightly applying pressure.

A plugged or kinked line in the system will do what you described: pedal force is enough to push fluid through, but ambient pressure not enough to allow it to return.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Bet your using a drum brake master cylinder which has residual pressure valve incorporated into the flare seat that the brake line screws up to. Discs only take 2psi while drums take 10psi and the 8# difference will make disc pads drag. I use a #6 (or #8) tap in the center of the flare fitting, screw in a machine screw and pull seat out. Throw away the guts and reinstall the seat then use a 2# residual pressure valve in the line going to the front.


Evan
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I chose the 1995 Blazer MC and booster after researching options.
The 1995 Blazer is a similar weight truck with front disc and rear drums. The hard line size is also the same as a 1965 C10.
My brake pedal return spring works very well and I get a full return without sagging.
If the problem continues, I’ll change to a different MC and booster.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Jay Zed
Some MCs have internal check valves inside the front port. I've had to remove them.

There might be a check valve. I made sure the rear pot (front brakes) return port is not clogged. That return port is very small compared to the other one. Maybe that’s the check valve?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
Not sound like a smart A**, but are the front and rear lines of the master cylinder on the right ports? I plumbed one backwards, and it makes the brakes act really weird. If it was one side I would suspect rubber brake line, but both have to be master cylinder. Back off the master cylinder rod just a bit more and see if the problem goes away. Be sure the return spring holds the lever weight off the rod. You could end up with to much free travel, but it will help diagnose the problem.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Good news!
I drove the truck a lot today in a variety of conditions and the problem has gone away. I believe there was something clogging either the equalization port or the intake/return port. Either way, the problem seems to be gone.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m sure the pushrod is properly adjusted. The front and rear circuits are connected to the correct ports too.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0