The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Well I finished installing my rotten pine bed wood with plastic deck boards. It looks very nice. Nice naturalish color and wood grain. I got lucky with the dimensions of the old bed wood and the new deck boards. The old eight board bed wood measure 5 3/4", but the plastic boards measure 5 1/2". I was able to cheat by moving the outer boards inward, thus preventing gaps which would not be covered up by the bed strips.
I cut spacers out of the scraps of the plastic boards to keep the wood from moving side to side (plastic doesn't expand like wood, so these spacers won't cause any buckling). I drilled holes in the middle of the spacers so that bed strip bolts will keep them in place. I put the spacers between the boards on the top of the 3 center cross sills (21 in total). I did have to drill a few holes in some of the cross sills to accommodate a few of the bed strip bolts, but not as many as I thought that would.
By the way, I did not router the grooves on the edges of the plastic boards for the bed strips. You can't even tell the difference. The grooves in the wood boards are there to capture the bed strips to keep everything in place when the wood expands and contracts. Not needed with plastic boards.
Carl

Last edited by 52Carl; 09/01/2019 1:19 AM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Pictures my friend, we need some pictures!

..........or not.

Last edited by HandyAndy; 09/04/2019 1:38 AM. Reason: ......or not.

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Pics before bolts installed.
Attachments
IMG_0210.JPG (39.35 KB, 386 downloads)
IMG_0211.JPG (35.43 KB, 380 downloads)

Last edited by 52Carl; 09/04/2019 5:23 PM.

1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 666
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 666
Carl,
That looks Great !!


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
Looks good, and will last a long time.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thanks, Carl

If/when my soon-to-be-painted bed boards go bad, I'll be looking for black plastic deck boards.
I bought the boards several years ago - when "plastic" decks boards were uncommon and untested.

Nice job.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Me likey a lot. Very slick.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
Looks nice. Couldn't help but notice your brush ax. Working truck or window dressing? My first real job out of high school was on a track gang for the railroad. I learned to hate those brush axes. I cringe every time I see one.

Last edited by dgrinnan; 09/06/2019 1:14 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks for the pics Carl. I'm with these guys, it really looks great!

Nice work!! thumbs_up


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Thanks for the comments! I was contemplating painting it black, but I don't know how well it would hold up on the plastic. Besides that, the pattern which they put into it makes it look like wood. This truck is my daily driven work truck, so I don't want it to look too nice.
Dave, the Kaiser blade (some people call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade, emm hmm) is what I consider to be crowd control.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by tclederman
$294.24 plus tax for 8 boards, but you won't ever need to do it again.
The boards that I used were about half that price, but if I had seen those 1X6 boards that color when I bought mine, I may have been tempted to splurge for them.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 293
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 293
What a great looking bed!


1950 Chevrolet model 1434 5-Window Canadian manufactured 1-Ton with Dump Bed / Hoist
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
You will never stop learning new things, no matter how old you are.
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
I'm thinking a "Tech Tip" here. Carl I think you got a winner with this.


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
interesting concept. and it looks great. I wonder how well they would hold up on a working truck tho? Especially on a hot summer day, I know my plastic deck boards get a little softer at the end of a hot day in the sun.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What brand of board, Rusty Rod?

How old are the boards?
What is the brand?

I had some deck boards installed two years ago. They do not seem to get softer in NC coastal sun.
They might get harder in a cold winter, but I will never know,

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
TC, not sure, but they are almost an inch thick


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
when I put my deck on my house a number of years ago, I needed to add more support for the plastic boards than if they were wood. it will get warm and warp, and also expand BUT, it is sure nice not to have to paint it or worry about rot! I would think they should hold up well in a pickup bed. Mine were "evergrain" brand.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
How far apart are/were your floor joists, Mike?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
My truck is parked in the full sun all day. Time will tell how it holds up. I figure if it works on a deck, it will work on a truck bed. These boards are ribbed on the bottom. Hopefully that will provide some rigidity.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Originally Posted by tclederman
How far apart are/were your floor joists, Mike?

we went 16" on center instead of 24"


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 122
J
JD1 Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 122
Carl,
That looks good.


1951 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton (1957 235, 4 speed, 411 rear)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I am away from home, but, I'll try to remember to check joist-spacing on my house-deck boards - NC near-shore sunshine, reaching over 100 degrees with no buckling/sagging.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Interesting idea, Carl. But with the nominal lengths available being 8 or 16 ft, it would seem only the 3/4-ton guys wouldn't end up with left overs. Maybe I'd have to find a 1/2-ton guy to go in with on those 16 footers ...

(not that I'm contemplating replacing Charlie's nearly pristine original bed wood ... just struck me that it is a lot of $$ possibly spent on product you can't use -- especially the 1-ton guys)

JM


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Any concern about tail pipe close to it or is the original heat shield sufficient?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by tclederman
I am away from home, but, I'll try to remember to check joist-spacing on my house-deck boards - NC near-shore sunshine, reaching over 100 degrees with no buckling/sagging.
16" on center

Therefore, I do not now if they would sag with a wider spacing.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by Grigg
Any concern about tail pipe close to it or is the original heat shield sufficient?
Without a load, the tailpipe isn't all that close on mine.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0