The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (GDW, Hotrod Lincoln, Gdads51, Jon G, ndkid275), 172 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1323294 08/24/2019 5:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
I have a 1962 C10 1/2T. It has the torsion bar front suspension, and coil springs in the back.

Aside from the obvious axle differences (6 vs 8 lugs), what are the differences in the actual suspension components?
I know the coils would be an easy swap in the rear. What about the front? Is it a new set of torsion bars? Did they do something different?

I am wondering how difficult it would be to upgrade the suspension on the 1/2T to 3/4T standards. Not trying to make a 3/4T out of it, just beef it up a little.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
My manual suggests front torsion ratings of 1250lbs for both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. There was an optional 1500lb front torsion spring for both. Rear coil ratings of 1250lb for 1/2 ton and 2000lb for 3/4 ton.
The GM heritage manual details additional spec ratings, but does clearly suggest fronts are the same and rears are different.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Before trying to make a 3/4 ton out of a 1/2 ton also consider frame and other suspension components, are they the same? If different then adding stiffer springs might lead to early failure of other parts?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Is there a compelling reason for putting 7 1/2 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack? Very few antique "1/2 ton" pickups see much more load in the bed than a Yeti cooler iced down with a max load of Bud Light on tailgate day!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
Compelling reason is putting 800 - 1000 pound motorcycles in the back when they need to be "rescued". I have done this several times recently. The old truck really squats when I load it up. I know I am still within capacity, but was looking to beef it up a bit. Not trying to make a 3/4T out of it, just give it a bit more gusto.

It's not something I would do on a regular basis, but nice to know it can.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
It would be a lot simpler to fit a set of air bags inside the rear coil springs, and air 'em up when a little more capacity is needed. Otherwise, buy a good kidney belt and be prepared for a rough ride all the time. The same thing could be accomplished with air shocks, but they have a bad habit of overstressing the upper and lower shock mounts, and they require much higher air pressure to carry the same amount of extra load.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
I think I remember seeing "helper" leaf springs that were basically half a leaf spring that bolted to the frame behind the rear axle, but didn't normally interact with the rear suspension.

When the load exceeded a certain level, the frame lowered enough that the spring contacted the trailing arm and provided additional support.

Does anyone else remember these?

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
Trailing arms thickness and lengths are the same for short and long bed 1/2 and 3/4 ton to my knowledge.

I recently upgraded to 3/4ton springs in my '63. I'm so happy with the result. I didn't notice that much change in the ride (probably because the front springs are so broken in). I use my truck to load up 600-1000lbs of firewood regularly sometimes getting pretty close to the bumpstops (worn out rear springs too, I'm sure). Now my truck doesn't squat nearly as bad as before.

I would recommend ordering a new pair of rear 3/4ton springs through rockauto and installing them. They aren't that expensive, and installation isn't that difficult if you take your time and have some jackstands. If the ride is too rough, you can just put the old 1/2 ton springs back in.


Liquidated my projects
Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
What Pratt said or on the new springs remove a spring or two.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
"Remove a spring or two"- - - - -I'd like to hide and watch you do that on a coil spring. I've got a 72 Chevy 1/2 ton with rear trailing arms, coils, and helper springs. They are quarter-elliptical leaf springs bolted to the frame that contact the rear axle housing as the suspension travel approaches the bump stops. Chevy used to sell a "Camper Special" option with extra weight capacity, but I believe that one was a 3/4 ton.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 112
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by 62Stick
I think I remember seeing "helper" leaf springs that were basically half a leaf spring that bolted to the frame behind the rear axle, but didn't normally interact with the rear suspension.

When the load exceeded a certain level, the frame lowered enough that the spring contacted the trailing arm and provided additional support.

Does anyone else remember these?
Those so-called "helper" leafs, have come on every 60-something C10, and C20 I've ever owned. They're half-leafs, or progressive-leafs. Anyway. They make NO interference with your ride. It rides exactly the same loaded, or empty. I can't say enough (good) about 'em. By all means, if you can get a pair of them. Do it. You'll never regret it!

Chris


'64 Chev C20 LWB stepside (Ol'Blue)

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0