The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Peggy M, tclederman), 100 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,643
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
The gasket that was on the nut for the opening ripped off last night when I opened it to check the levels (empty!). It was the first time the master had been opened in a decade so it basically ripped apart. I am having issues finding a replacement gasket as everything seems to be susceptible to Dot 3 fluid. Is it required or can it be metal on metal? I'm thinking something should be there to prevent extra air getting into the system. If its required what have you used if you were not able to source the actual part from anywhere?


1958 Chev Apache 3600
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
I think you can still buy gasket material at the parts stores. Careful work with a razor blade and your good to go.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I've made very effective master cylinder gaskets from soft aluminum sheet metal or copper. All it takes is some careful drilling and filing for the inside diameter, and a good set of tin snips for the OD. They last WAY longer than paper gaskets and also seal better. Most master cylinder plugs have a small vent hole drilled into them from the side.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
The fill hole plug gasket is for splash out. Air getting in can't get thru the fluid. Otherwise every time you checked it, air would get in system. It probably does not even need a gasket.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on it and look into the gasket material or copper. Its a reason to get a new tool as I don't have snips!


1958 Chev Apache 3600
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Do you want me to delete my post showing an original replacement gasket for $2?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 25
Whoops, didn't see the link, thanks! I'll see if I can find that in Canada or else a $2 part will be $4 + $20 shipping :-)


1958 Chev Apache 3600

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0