The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, 2-Ton), 158 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
I am referring to the 4138 AC unit for 261 truck motor. Does anyone know which vacuum port is intake and which is exhaust or does it matter? This is the fuel pump with the vacuum pump on the bottom of the fuel pump. When I move the pump lever I cannot tell which one is which. There is one port closer to the motor and one further away.

I know one is supposed to go to manifold and one to wipers. Thanks in advance.


1953 Chevrolet Handyman Wagon 36k
1938 Buick 38k
1947 Hudson Commodore 18k
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I have a dual action fuel pump and A/C on my 54 and there is a hose coming off the bottom to the A/C but is to the right side of the pump as far as I can tell reaching under the pump.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
It's simple- - - -remove both hoses and attach a vacuum gauge to the pump nipples with the engine running. The one that pulls a vacuum goes to the wipers. Connect the hose from the intake manifold to the other one. You've got a 50/50 chance of being correct by simply attaching the hoses at random, but it's easy to do it right.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
It's on the stand right now.


1953 Chevrolet Handyman Wagon 36k
1938 Buick 38k
1947 Hudson Commodore 18k
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Loosen the pump bolts a couple of turns and wobble the housing up and down- - - -that's plenty of movement to get a vacuum reading. It's too bad common sense isn't an off-the-shelf item at a parts store.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
If you are implying I have no common sense that's not the case buddy. Hey thanks for the help.


1953 Chevrolet Handyman Wagon 36k
1938 Buick 38k
1947 Hudson Commodore 18k
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Online: Content
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
BigBlack
Jerry is a little rough around the edges, but a wealth of knowledge in that old noggin of his.
If you ever meet him in person, you will understand.
Please don't take any offence.
Hope you try his idea and it works out for you.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
No offense intended- - - -after 60-something years in the auto repair business and teaching the subject for 30+ of those years, some things that appear to be an obvious solution to me don't occur to others.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable with these old trucks and most things come easy to me.
Add a frustrating series of issues without any success in resolution, then the cuss words and tools start flying, and I find myself in need of someone like HRL to reel me back in.
Insults, manhood questioning, etc coming from him doesn't bother me. His background is High school automotive education. I think back 40 something years ago about my old shop teachers, and HRL seems like a cream puff in comparison. I met him in person a few times. He is indeed a cream puff, and his #1 goal is to selflessly help anybody who needs it.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Y’all are gonna make him blush! blush


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Online: Content
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Jerry blush? Never!
Maybe a smile and a chuckle though!

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
The reason we could not determine which port was which, was the lower pump diaphragm was torn and not working. We ordered a new pump and down the road we go. Thanks.


1953 Chevrolet Handyman Wagon 36k
1938 Buick 38k
1947 Hudson Commodore 18k

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0