The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (NJC, fonz8261, Southerntruck, J Lucas), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,442
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
OK , this is about my wifes 73 Monte Carlo .
It has had a single exhaust fitted at some stage , and I am wondering if I will get better fuel economy if I refit a dual exhaust system.

It sure needs to sound better ,, at the moment it is a little like someone sneezing into a 44gal drum .

Thoughts , opinions , experiences welcomed .
Thanks.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I would say 2 1/4 duals with 50 series Flowmasters all the way to the bumper.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
DO the Duals all the way
A good cross-over pipe will help to make a good runner and good sound.
2&1/4 will work great cool


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Thanks for your thoughts guys .
Question .. how will the flowmasters sound , are they straight thru or baffled ?
I really do want this to be quiet in the car .. a burble outside is cool ..

The mufflers I eventually use will be locally made product , so some idea of construction of the flowmasters will help me order the right thing .

Thanks.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Go to the Flowmaster website. They used to have sound bites of the different series mufflers. I have 50's on my truck and it is a low mellow tone that sounds like no other muffler. I have the 40's on my '95 Impala and they are a bit louder and more aggressive sounding (which I like too). They are one heavy-duty muffler also.
That's what I recommend,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
The walker dynomax mufflers perform as well or better than flowmasters, but are quieter. The flows give a large rumble and pop with the mildest engines. Dynomax units are quieter, but still give a nice sound at cruise or accel. The ones on my '67 LeMans replicate the old-school musclecar sound. And they're a little cheaper than flows too.

The flows are a chambered muffler, the dynomax are a baffled design with packing.


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Thanks guys , I have decided that quiet is best for me , so I will be looking for the originals afterall .


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0