Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,439 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |  350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13183 04/20/2004 4:16 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | OK , this is about my wifes 73 Monte Carlo . It has had a single exhaust fitted at some stage , and I am wondering if I will get better fuel economy if I refit a dual exhaust system.
It sure needs to sound better ,, at the moment it is a little like someone sneezing into a 44gal drum .
Thoughts , opinions , experiences welcomed . Thanks. | | |  Re: 350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13184 04/20/2004 4:23 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I would say 2 1/4 duals with 50 series Flowmasters all the way to the bumper. Scott | | |  Re: 350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13185 04/20/2004 5:23 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | DO the Duals all the way A good cross-over pipe will help to make a good runner and good sound. 2&1/4 will work great 
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |  Re: 350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13186 04/20/2004 10:48 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | Thanks for your thoughts guys . Question .. how will the flowmasters sound , are they straight thru or baffled ? I really do want this to be quiet in the car .. a burble outside is cool ..
The mufflers I eventually use will be locally made product , so some idea of construction of the flowmasters will help me order the right thing .
Thanks. | | |  Re: 350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13187 04/21/2004 3:02 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Go to the Flowmaster website. They used to have sound bites of the different series mufflers. I have 50's on my truck and it is a low mellow tone that sounds like no other muffler. I have the 40's on my '95 Impala and they are a bit louder and more aggressive sounding (which I like too). They are one heavy-duty muffler also. That's what I recommend, Scott | | |  Re: 350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13188 04/21/2004 2:33 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | The walker dynomax mufflers perform as well or better than flowmasters, but are quieter. The flows give a large rumble and pop with the mildest engines. Dynomax units are quieter, but still give a nice sound at cruise or accel. The ones on my '67 LeMans replicate the old-school musclecar sound. And they're a little cheaper than flows too.
The flows are a chambered muffler, the dynomax are a baffled design with packing.
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |  Re: 350 , 4bbl , dual exhausts ,,,,,,,,,, ?
#13189 04/23/2004 5:09 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | Thanks guys , I have decided that quiet is best for me , so I will be looking for the originals afterall . | | |
| |