The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, crenwelge), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1317315 07/11/2019 4:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Hi all, I finally have the time and funds to start on my 1951 Chevrolet 3100. I have been reading the forum for a few years and still have a few questions.
1. This will be a daily driver when I’m finished so for my wife’s peace, is it wrong to put seatbelts in?
2. From what I have seen, should I pull the trigger and upgrade to 12-volts?
3. I would like to stay as original as possible, are there any other upgrades I should consider? It doesn’t have an engine but I was looking at the 235 CPI with single carb.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The local community college has several automotive classes and encourages the students to bring in their projects and work on them–even on Saturdays.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake
The Welcome Center is really not the best place for questions. Why? Because only about 1% of our membership ever come back here after their introduction. Read through the various forums and pick out the best for each question. Multiple questions about different subjects in the same thread make it hard for those searching for a particular topic. Take some time to read the Sticky Thread at the top of the General Truck Talk Forum about “Why Posts are Moved, Edited or Deleted” for some good information on navigating the site. You’ve got a great fun project ahead.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
In response to your items listed above:

1. By all means put in seat belts (shoulder straps can also be installed on both sides, unless you have a panel body truck).

2. Unless you need a lot of 12v high-power devices, 6v volt works reliably.

- have a good 6v battery

- make sure both the battery cables and all the grounding straps (usually braided) are 2 gauge or 1 gauge, or 0 gauge, or 00 gauge
(size matters - 2 gauge was original on 6v and 4 gauge was original in 12v)

- check/clean ALL grounding locations - poor grounds are the main problem causing complaints about 6v systems

3. Inexpensive 6v-12v converters are available, if you want to use a few low-power-draw 12v devices (like GPS or cell phone chargers)

I have had only one problem with 6v on my 1954 Suburban that I have owned/driven for 47 years.
That one problem was a combination of having a combination of 12v cable and a bad ground.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Have fun. Make sure you BAG and TAG all the parts, especially the hardware!! And like the others said, for a better response, please ask questions that apply to a particular forum in that forum.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Take lots of photos of parts before you take them apart.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 109
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 109
Like Rusty Rod and tclederman have said BAG, TAG AND PICTURES. I just hired a new guy to work with me well he pulled a part one of my customers car and did not mark a thing and this is a total frame off. I have been looking for parts bolt screws etc for weeks. So take there advice.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Can't add much to what's already been said, except to say there is no "wrong" way to do anything! It's your truck-the only one you have to please is yourself.
Welcome to the Bolt!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0