The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh63c10), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1304917 03/27/2019 10:16 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Due to rust, I couldn't get my cylinder filler top off my reservoir so I took it out from under the truck thinking I could drill into it and put a tap into it and
back it out. That didn't work so now I have a master cylinder with a hole in the filler top that still won't come off. I am not sure if the cylinder is bad or not,
but from the previous owner I was led to think it was ok. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do now. I don't think the top will come off as it is rusted on so badly and a shop
has tried with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas for me ?

Thanks


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Heat from the top, need to be willing to sacrifice top, might have to split and peel off.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Thanks Ed, I will try heating one more time. I appreciate the response !

Troy


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Since you have it out, why not soak it in rust remover for a day or two, then try again? 🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
I will try that too. I’m sure open to all suggestions at this point.

Thank you sir


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
T
tlm Offline
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5
If all else fails consider mig welding a nut to it. Between the heat and additional torque using a wrench???done similar with the lock ing lugnuts that need a key.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 166
Thanks tlm for the suggestion, I appreciate it !


Troy
1963 Chevy C60
Big Red Chevy
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1951 GMC 453 Series 3-Ton Army Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0