The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (NJC, fonz8261, Southerntruck, J Lucas), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,442
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
I've got a '46 1/2 ton with a '54 Powerglide engine in it. I've been using the old OEM 30lb oil pressure gauge for more than 30 years. It worked fine, coming up to peg as the truck got OP up. If I drove the truck on a hot day at speed, it might drop down to about 25lbs when I came to a stop, so it was working fine. Now it always reads about 25 lbs with truck turned off. When I start the truck it pegs up to 30, so it works, but it won't return to zero anymore. I think I banged it when I had the dash out to repair my sticky temp and ammeter gauges. ohwell

My question is this: How does the pressure tube work off the engine to make the gauge read pressure? Is it a tube? It's not kinked anywhere, so I think the problem is in the gauge itself. I can see how it's attached at the block, obviously, but how is it attached at the back of the gauge? I'm afraid to pull on it too hard, since I don't want to mess th gauge up anymore than I (apparently) already have. Frankly, I'm trying to avoid pulling the dash again unless it's a last resort - just can't get at the screws to take the plate out that holds ammeter and OP gauge.

Any suggestions welcome. ...and I proudly accept the nomination for dumb question of the day. dang

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
A Bourdon tube pressure gauge is a flattened piece of tubing that makes about a 270 degree arc inside the gauge housing. As pressure is applied the tube tries to straighten out. That motion is transmitted to a geared spindle that the needle is attached to, which turns and makes the needle move. It sounds like the gear has slipped a few teeth. Try taking the gauge out of the dash and see if you can reposition the spindle gear to make the needle read zero again, or close to it. You can use air pressure and an adjustable regulator to test the gauge for accuracy. Yes, the line from the engine to the gauge is a hollow tube, about 1/8" outside diameter.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
Here's a good tutorial video:



Jerry




"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Also you could swap it out for a GMC ga from '39-'46 and have your full 60 psi. Good luck


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Thanks very much. Was going to tear into this past weekend, but got sidetracked by other things. Might be a good thing - I feel like I've got a better understanding now. Much appreciated.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
All fixed. Thanks for the suggestions. The Youtube video was a great explanation, so when I got it apart I knew exactly what I was looking at. Thanks, Jerry. Put the repair details in another thread dealing with this problem.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0