The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Phak1), 174 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,283
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 22
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 22
I’m about to tackle the job of fitting a compete new Jim Carter loom into my 49 Suburban which currently has no wiring at all

I’ve not done this on a Chevy before so I’m looking for any advise or links to good guides or videos before I make a start as I’m not totally sure on the routing

Thanks
Mike


49 Suburban Project
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I will be doing one on a '53 3100 soon, and I plan on wiring the harness to the gauge cluster and ignition switch on the bench, then install the pre-assembled works into the truck.
I am pretty sure that was how it was done on the assembly line. If you ever looked at the back of an original gauge cluster with original cloth wires on it, you will see how impossible it would be to make it look like that while on your back, bent like a pretzel.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
When I did my '48 1.5ton with a JIm Carter cloth harness I removed the headlight switch and connected to it first, then I connected to each gauge and installed them one by one. Then I passed the harness thru the firewall and connected to the fuse box, headlight connectors, and engine bay. I laid the new harness out beside the truck and studied it for a while before installing it. I printed a colored wiring diagram to refer to, instead of dragging the manual around with me.
Good luck, Curt


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Thanks Curt! I forgot about the headlight switch! My neck and back hurts right now just thinking about hooking up all of those wires all twisted up like a pretzel.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Working under the dash is painful in a variety of ways. To make the physical part of it somewhat easier a buddy suggested I make a “bed”. It’s fairly simple. A plywood plank wide enough to fit between the seat bottom and toe board. And long enough to rest securely inside the cab, about 1/3 to 1/2 way and protruding outside the cab about 18” or so. The outside end of the plank has legs, somewhat similar to a long folding table, fastened to it. Then add a foam rubber or similar mattress. Worked like a charm for me. I think I even took a couple short naps along the way.🤫

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 22
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 22
My main concern is the routing such as coming through the right holes in the firewall and the routing to the back of the car as I have no point of reference


49 Suburban Project
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Many of these routings are detailed in the 47-54 FAM (Factory Assembly Manual).

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
D
Awesome Grandpa
Awesome Grandpa
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by 46Sparky
Working under the dash is painful in a variety of ways. To make the physical part of it somewhat easier a buddy suggested I make a “bed”. It’s fairly simple. A plywood plank wide enough to fit between the seat bottom and toe board. And long enough to rest securely inside the cab, about 1/3 to 1/2 way and protruding outside the cab about 18” or so. The outside end of the plank has legs, somewhat similar to a long folding table, fastened to it. Then add a foam rubber or similar mattress. Worked like a charm for me. I think I even took a couple short naps along the way.🤫


I'm going to try this out - as well as pushing the clutch pedal in and dis-connecting the brake pedal from the master brake cylinder, then pushing it down for more head room.


Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
801curt has the best advice as I see it. The harness is sort of self supporting (I know there are some clips) so there is very little slack in the wires. When I have to work on mine now, I remove the radio grill and the speedometer first. I don't attempt to get my head under there because for me, that is too hard on the neck. Leaving the headlight switch dangling until the instruments are done will make life a lot easier.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
You are on the right track to think ahead about how to best complete this work. It is not technically challenging but needs to be well planned. My experience is that routing is the key.

Anyone with basic skills can connect wire A to terminal 1 etc. That is not the measure of success for this work.

I agree that the AD assembly manual is a tremendous help. The fact that you are working on a '53 means it will be much more relevant than it was for the '49 we just completed.

We were in the same situation that you are. The truck had no wiring. Over the 6 months prior to installing the harness we looked at many different AD trucks and took lots of pictures. That really helped but it also has some limitations. If the person who did that installation did it wrong, then we might end up doing it wrong. After looking at about a half dozen trucks we quickly learned what was probably more appropriate.


Rusty

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0