The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (DaveV, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck), 88 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,294
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1301271 03/01/2019 11:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Does anybody know a good replacement filter for one of the dry filters for a 1953 Chevy (pancake air cleaner)? Most of the newer paper filters that would fit are too tall.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I just use a replacement oil-wetted element.

Pays for itself after 4-5 cleanings, rather than “replacings”.

And, it looks “correct”, if anyone ever asks?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I use copper scrub pads.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
This topic has been addressed many times. The issue which has been brought up is that most paper filters which fit the pancake filter do not flow enough air for Stovebolt inline six engines.
Paper filters have airflow CFM ratings assigned to them. The ones which fit are made for lawnmowers. They restrict airflow due to the fine mesh which protects mower engines from their horrible conditions, and from their small overall size.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Haunting the SBP since 2001
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 257
I have experimented with a few different elements for these filters when I do dual carb. intake conversions.

The original filter media appears to be nothing more than aluminum shavings.

Have had the best luck replacing the old media with the copper material found in scrub pads.

I have located a few different paper lawn mower filters that will fit, but as already mentioned.... they do restrict air flow.

Attachments
air filter.jpg (134.12 KB, 352 downloads)
intake.jpg (100.55 KB, 345 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/pxsoCspCyfc41sLr5[/img]

I use a K&N #E-3320


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Pancake? I raided the kitchen for a cake pan and used a Fram on my 235 when I first got my truck 27 years ago. It looks better now with the 261.
Attachments
235 Cake Pan 750.jpg (87.73 KB, 315 downloads)

Last edited by Wally / Montana; 03/02/2019 3:47 PM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I could only imagine what a cake would taste like after its pan was used like that!! LOL


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I used the TALL paper filter, just use a longer screw and may need to trim off the rubber edge to fit better.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Original-style oil-wetted element - $31.50 plus shipping.

No a bad price compared to the cost of replacing several correct-size/correct-flow "paper" elements?

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Thank you all for the information. I will probably try to fashion something out of copper scrub pads.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
My '46 with tall air cleaners.
Attachments
'46 BXOV2.jpg (269.51 KB, 334 downloads)


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 76
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 76
My 1940 1 1/2 ton has a pancake filter but it is sealed. Other than opening the canister it seems I can wash it and oil it. With this, the engine is out of a 1939 1 1/2 ton that was complete down to the filter. Is this a factory Chevrolet filter?

I will add a photo once I put it on my website and link it. If I need to move this to Big Bolts let me know.

Thank you

Harmon Hodge

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Originally Posted by tclederman
Original-style oil-wetted element - $31.50 plus shipping.

No a bad price compared to the cost of replacing several correct-size/correct-flow "paper" elements?

What type of oil does one apply to these copper mesh filters and how do you do it? I'm currently using a paper filter but if infact it does restrict air flow, I need to consider something else.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"wash"/clean filter in any solvent (gasoline ( big_eek) or kerosene/diesel-fuel)
then, dip/drench in engine oil and let drain

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
How often does one normally clean these filters? What are the warning signs, to clean?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I follow the mileage-instructions in the
Operator's/Owner's Manual - 2,000 mile intervals
.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 843
"jstudda"

There are at least 2 paper filters that are a fit in your "pancake" air filter housing:

Wix 42373 and Fram CA77.

I would take the "expert" assertions that they restrict air flow with a huge dose of skepticism. In the real world they work great and no dust gets through them. The color is bright white and as dust accumulates the color of the filter exterior changes giving you a clear indication that it's working. The inside remains bright white.

Ray W
Attachments
Air Cl. In Use.JPG (48.83 KB, 157 downloads)


Ray
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Oh Boy...


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0