The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#129862 04/22/2003 4:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
Hi all ...
I'd like to lift my 1950 3/4t chevy pickup body about 3" higher, but I'm not finding any lift kits for older trucks with straight axles, and I want to keep my original straight axle.
Can anybody help me out here? I've looked at lifting blocks but I don't think they'll work on the front axle.
I know i'll need a new pitman arm, but that's no problem because I'm building a whole new steering system anyway for a tilt column.
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Tom

#129863 04/23/2003 4:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
Well, after doing some intense reading on the subject I now understand why lifting blocks don't work on the front axle. Here's a short summary of what I read:
"Lift blocks are ILLEGAL in most states because of the forces exerted on the block during cornering - the front axle is being pushed sideways as you come around the corner, and the rear axle is simply following. The blocks exaggerate the leverage on the springs, and can force the blocks to 'pop' out of place, and
your truck to go diving into the ground.."
So, with that tucked under my hat I know what I need is a kit that includes new leaf springs and shocks for the front axle.
Since it involves more money than I anticipated I believe I will elect to retain my stock setup which is in great condition and leave my truck at stock height.
No one has replied to my post yet, but maybe this info will be helpful to someone else out there.
Best regards,
Tom

#129864 04/24/2003 9:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
You might check some of the 4-wheel drive places(on the net or otherwise) . I think you will have to go with arched and/or longer springs.
You can always put a 4x4 front axle under it grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#129865 04/24/2003 5:34 PM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 31
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 31
Tom,

DISCLAIMER - I am not recommending this as a solution, I am simply retelling a story from personal experience.

I once owned a 1964 F350 flatbed truck with solid front axle and heavy duty leaf springs. I added a set of integrated helper springs to the rear end thus raising the tail of the truck about 3 inches. This gave the truck a noticeable rake to it and I decided to raise the front end to match the rear. I went to the hardware store and bought two 5 pound steel sledgehammer heads. I then went to the local spring shop and got 4 new ubolts made that were 4 inches longer than the originals. I used the sledgehammer heads as lift blocks between the springs and the axle. The eye for the handle in the sledgehammer head acted as a hole for the head of the spring retainer bolt to fit into and keep the sledgehammer head from slipping out. Plus the sledgehammer head was high carbon steel and very strong.

The moral of this story is that my $20 solution lasted until I junked the truck (over 10 years) and I never had a problem or a safety concern with it. I ran that truck hard and overloaded it every chance I got.

Story time over.

BigMac
Thanks Dan

#129866 04/26/2003 12:50 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Wow, I would love to see the expression on the face of whoever pulled parts off that junked truck. It's not the blocks that you need to worry about, it's the U-bolts.

You could either have your front axle modified or you could get custom springs made at a spring shop. There is a guy in california that does nothing but make drop spindle axles, he could probably make a tall one. He advertises in Classic Truck magazine.

Try www.benzspring.com for getting custom springs, they have good prices and service. They make springs for gunderson and freightliner as well as customs for anything you want.

You could use lift shackles (get them from a 4WD supply) on the front and fix the caster angle with shim stock for a 1-2" lift. Be prepared for some funky handling.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#129867 04/28/2003 3:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 68
Thanks everyone for the great input!
I had thought about the shackles, but I considered the "funky handling" that the shackles would create, and decided against them.
Like they say, "You get what you pay for", and either I ante up big bucks for an entire lift kit that includes springs/shocks/etc for both front and back, or I leave my stock suspension as is.
Since I don't want the headaches (not to mention dangers) involved with a "cheap" solution, and I'm not excited about spending big bucks for a 3" rise, I've elected to use the money for other parts of my resto/rod project. My stock suspension is in great shape (3/4 ton) so i'll keep it for a while longer.
Again, thanks for all the great input!
Tom


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0