The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (stlcardinalsguy, Otto Skorzeny), 138 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1293502 01/04/2019 3:24 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Can anyone decode the axle housing stamping for me?
I already figured out it's a 3.73 rear end by the Mph,
Tach reading and the tire height.

THD 0217K


Thanks.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
The quickest and easiest way is to pull the rear cover and read the part number on the ring gear if it has a rear cover. It will give ratio and date code, at the same time you can see if it has a posi-trac third member. Any idea what it came out of?

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
It's in a 70 gmc half ton.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
You might try on the 67-72chevytrucks site. They have a very active forum.


Professional Novice
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
Being a GMC could be a Dana 44, check for tag on cover bolt.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Pretty sure it's a GM truck 12 bolt. No tag and the cover matches a GM 12 bolt and the numbers are stamped front of passenger side right where GM would put them. It's a half ton so I doubt a dana would have been put in it. I'm just curious how the numbers decode. I know by driving it, it's a 3.73 gearing. I'm not at a point where I can pull the cover at this time. Most sites I look at address a lot of car number decoding but not truck and I can't find the THD suffix on any of them.

Last edited by bztguy; 01/04/2019 6:37 PM.

1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
May not have been original to the truck? Sorry but I can't find that number anywhere or any sequence even close to it in my notes.

Have you felt or looked up on top of the tube on the passenger side? The rear I'm using came from a 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton and was stamped up there. I had to look around to find it, actually. I think the axle codes for the 12 bolt break down like this:

B, W, G or K tells you where it was produced (K which shows up in your number might mean it was built by McKinnon or it may mean it was built in November...can't uscramble that egg) B means Buffalo, W for Warren and G for Chevy Gear & Axle

A through L tells you the month it was produced (A for January, L for December) if it was made between 1964 and 1970. If your rear end was made after 1971, 01 for January through 12 for December.

If it was for a 69 or 70 truck, it will have a panhard bar ear cast into it. This will be on the passenger side. You can see this below.

The gear ratio codes are always two letters or one letter followed by one number. I'm not going to post all of them because it is a long list, but you can probably find them online somewhere. I will tell you if yours is a 3.73, my notes say it will either be CC, CI (if it is positrac) or also could have been CU (for posi), K4 or K5 (positrac). That's all the id codes used for 3.73. I've never seen any 12 bolt which didn't follow this ID sequence, but that's not to say one didn't happen somewhere. Good luck.
Attachments
differential 15-1.jpg (44.44 KB, 42 downloads)


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0