The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1280936 09/20/2018 6:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
Finally started on the '46. I've located a decent 235 and T5 and a 2005 Suburban 2500 rear end with a 3.73 ration. I'm going to be taking it in for sandblasting/powdercoating after I get the running gear off. I've been searching through some of the threads here regarding the rear end swap. Just about everything I've found pertain to '47 and later trucks. Has anyone changed out an original '42 - '46 rear end with a 14 bolt? I saw a link for the post '47 trucks that deals with an "offset" issue. Does that also pertain to pre '47 trucks?

Anything else I need to know before I begin the drive train swap?

Thanks,
Joe


1946 Chevy 3/4 Ton Flatbed
Tearing her down
Story in the DITY Gallery
More images
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Depends on your rear end bolt pattern, need to match the front. Might need to move axle spring perches to fit your springs. Is your rear ff or sf? 3.73 might work well with T5. Make sure to match spring perch location and thus welding before powder coating.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
Hi Ed,

The rear is a full floater.

Joe


1946 Chevy 3/4 Ton Flatbed
Tearing her down
Story in the DITY Gallery
More images
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by EdPruss
Depends on your rear end bolt pattern, need to match the front. Might need to move axle spring perches to fit your springs. Is your rear ff or sf? 3.73 might work well with T5. Make sure to match spring perch location and thus welding before powder coating.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm going to cut the old perches off and reweld them back where they need to be for my truck. This unit also has shocks that come with it. Would it be useful to use them? I haven't read anything about adding shocks to a '46 3/4 ton. I'm assuming it would be useful if I was carrying heavy loads but that's not likely. I'm thinking all that I need to do is construct an upper mount and weld it to a location that matches the location of the top mount of the shock.

Joe


1946 Chevy 3/4 Ton Flatbed
Tearing her down
Story in the DITY Gallery
More images
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Shocks are useful, especially on uphill gravel, washboard road with light load.

Make sure to weld new perches in loaded position.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
Thanks Ed.


1946 Chevy 3/4 Ton Flatbed
Tearing her down
Story in the DITY Gallery
More images
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 216
I've come across another rear end but this one has disk brakes. It's a great price and a 3.73 posi. If I were to use it would I have to figure out how to change the front to disks too?


1946 Chevy 3/4 Ton Flatbed
Tearing her down
Story in the DITY Gallery
More images
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
No.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0