Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
155
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | Finally started on the '46. I've located a decent 235 and T5 and a 2005 Suburban 2500 rear end with a 3.73 ration. I'm going to be taking it in for sandblasting/powdercoating after I get the running gear off. I've been searching through some of the threads here regarding the rear end swap. Just about everything I've found pertain to '47 and later trucks. Has anyone changed out an original '42 - '46 rear end with a 14 bolt? I saw a link for the post '47 trucks that deals with an "offset" issue. Does that also pertain to pre '47 trucks?
Anything else I need to know before I begin the drive train swap?
Thanks, Joe | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Depends on your rear end bolt pattern, need to match the front. Might need to move axle spring perches to fit your springs. Is your rear ff or sf? 3.73 might work well with T5. Make sure to match spring perch location and thus welding before powder coating.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | Hi Ed,
The rear is a full floater.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | Depends on your rear end bolt pattern, need to match the front. Might need to move axle spring perches to fit your springs. Is your rear ff or sf? 3.73 might work well with T5. Make sure to match spring perch location and thus welding before powder coating.
Ed Hi Ed, I'm going to cut the old perches off and reweld them back where they need to be for my truck. This unit also has shocks that come with it. Would it be useful to use them? I haven't read anything about adding shocks to a '46 3/4 ton. I'm assuming it would be useful if I was carrying heavy loads but that's not likely. I'm thinking all that I need to do is construct an upper mount and weld it to a location that matches the location of the top mount of the shock. Joe | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Shocks are useful, especially on uphill gravel, washboard road with light load.
Make sure to weld new perches in loaded position.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 216 | I've come across another rear end but this one has disk brakes. It's a great price and a 3.73 posi. If I were to use it would I have to figure out how to change the front to disks too? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 |
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | |
| |