The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 105 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,440
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1287710 11/16/2018 5:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
I have a '50 cab on my '53 3100. The '53 cab was not salvageable, and I found a good rust free '50 cab. I could not see any differences between the two other than the driver's side cowl vent.
Was there changes to cab length and/or door openings? I have tried over and over to align the doors, but they rub on the surface of the striker plates. And the door latches appear to be higher than the striker plates. I have modified the mounting holes, on the strikers, as much as I am able trying to raise the srikers. I have the door mounted as low as the hinge adjustment allows. Still no luck. The doors will latch, but I have to lift and slam the doors to do it. The striker plates are different from '50 to '53. I have tried both sets with the same outcome.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Joe


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
If your having to lift up on the door to get them to latch you may need to replace the door hinge pins......the doors are interchangeable.

also, if using 53 doors you must use 53 strikers. You can't mix the two.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
Thanks for the reply, Alvin.
Actually I replaced the old hinges with a brand new set. And I tried both strikers. Right now I have the '53 strikers on the truck. I get the same result as with the '50 strikers.
I think it may be time to do some custom work with a grinding/cutting wheel and welder. I have tried everything else.


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
The "Brand New Hinges" may be the cause of your trouble. I have yet to hear a success story with these reproduction hinges.
Do you still have the old ones?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
P
Bolter
Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 251
No, the old ones are gone.


“Old Blue” 1953 Chevrolet 3100
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 86
I totally agree with Carl that the repro door hinges are a major part of your door mounting issues. My personal research established that the door leafs are not formed to the proper bend and twist.
Finding and rebuilding an original set of door hinges will vastly improve the installation leaving only minor tweaking. I learned the hard way that repro door hinges and brake drums should be avoided at all costs. Research door fitment in the forums and you will find a lot of useful knowledge on how to master door fitment.


Mike
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton w/ 1959 235
1971 Chevelle

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0