The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
Hi all, have a 47 2 ton loadmaster, it had 235, I put in a 1958 235, left the truck 6 volt but going to use 12 volt distributor that came in replacement engine, going to use 6 volt coil. Wondering if I need to change internals in distributor to 6 volt or just put the 6 volt distributor in replacement engine? I would think the 12 volt distributor should work fine as is. Any input appreciated..Thanks

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Our tech tip section on 12V conversion does not say anything about dizzy (electrically). I don't know if it physically fits. Dizzy part numbers are not the same for 47 and 58. Also I have read something about cam gear vs dizzy gear, Better check that out for "iron meshing cast" compatibility. You could chew something up.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
I have a '50 COE that came from the previous owner with a '58 235. I have retained a 6 volt system and I believe the distributor is the proper one for the engine. I don't know what internals you would change anyway, except for the condensor. Another factor to consider is the issue of earlier distributors having a hardened gear that would wear the matching gear of the later engines with cast cam shaft. Thus, one would argue against putting the 6 volt distributor in your later 235.

Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
Thanks guys, I had read somewhere about the difference in the dist. drive gears and figured not a good idea to use the older dist. I will give it a shot as is and see what happens, if have any problems will swap out condenser.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Sorry, misread your first post, you did say your were using the 58 dizzy and just wanted to know about electrics for 6V vs 12V. I'm on drugs.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Distributors which have a delco remy number ending in 2403 (originally introduced in 555 and used through 63 on the production line), were listed as the service replacement models for the 54 and earlier distributors. (That information is directly from my delco remy books). So while you can use the later distributors in the earlier models, you probably should not use the early models in the later motors.


Mike
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Electrical concerns on the distributor are a non issue. 6 volt, or 12 Volt. The points have the same current rating. The condenser is the same. The coil does matter. A 6 Volt coil has no resistor. The 12 Volt has either an inline resistor(so it is a 6 Volt after all) or an internal resistor(so the factory fixed it to act like a 12 Volt coil) The coil part is pretty much the same. A resistance test can be confusing(the coil is rated by AC not DC signals. Induction is an AC attribute). Some coils are very close to each other 6 Volt to 12 Volt. But, and this matters, the Distributor is not different.(mechanical issues aside) The difference in a 6 Volt coil and a 12 Volt coil can be as small as 2 Ohms. The inline "ballast" resistors are not many Ohms either. The issue is current through the points. That is what matters. I know this has been a long winded reply, but it can help others, I hope.


Steve H

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0