The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, Steelonsteel, 55shaker, GRNHydra, 51sub, Wally / Montana, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
After pb blasting..heating and drilling out rusted bolts I have one left to fix. The front end top shackle spring pin with grease fitting on passenger side wouldn't budge with an easy out and heat. I decided to drill out and hopefully run thread chaser thru. I took pin into couple places to get correct thread and size. They were not much help and told me must be an odd size thread. Has anybody had to run a thread chaser thru the pressed in threads for top shackle spring pin? I did a search and only saw that 3/8ths 24 was used for the grease zerk but saw nothing what would be used for chasing spring pin out. Could some on chime in on maybe where to find proper size as I don't see it covered in my assembly manual..just replacement part number for whole frame bracket. Auto zone guess was 3/4 10. I think thread size is wrong. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance luv this site. Jeff

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I don't believe the threaded shackle pins and bushings are a common size or thread profile.

The good news is the bushings press out of the brackets in the frame (and spring eyes) and new bushings with pins come in the replacement shackle kits.
Picture and part numbers here and following pages
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/432.htm

New parts can usually be had at NAPA or other auto parts stores, spring shops, or the usual restoration parts suppliers.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Grigg thanks so much! I'm on it.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0