The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Paul Mullen), 99 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1279358 09/06/2018 7:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Hi all ... I have a 1954 chevy 3100 and need to get new tires on the truck to be able to move it since the tires are shot. I have 16" rims but I'm not sure they are original. 3 of them look like they may be (paint colors match) but one has a totally different paint color. I read a post about tire recommendations on this forum and am planning to get 235/85/16 LT E rated. But before I do I thought I'd pass it by you because I know zip about tires.

Right now the tires on the truck are on the back Michelin 205/80 R16 104T M+S Radial XM.

The front tires are Armstrong 6.50-16 LT SD 200.

Any idea if the tires I'm planning to get would fit?

Thanks so much!!


1954 Chevy 3100
1994 Nissan 300ZX Convertible
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
You didn’t state if the tires are just to “Move it” or drive it. Two entirely different things. If your just moving it around then air up what you have or get some six lug wheels/tires from your local salvage that will hold air. If it’s time to start driving then what you have proposed buying will be just fine.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2018
Posts: 11
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 11
I'm about to the point where I need to get tires too.. Will regular tubeless work on these old steel wheels? I guess I'm wondering if they are air tight

Last edited by 53BarrelHauler; 09/07/2018 12:07 AM.

1953 3100 Mariner blue (some anyway)
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Thank you for your reply Martin. The current tires won't hold air, so I'm just going to put new ones on at this point.


1954 Chevy 3100
1994 Nissan 300ZX Convertible
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
235/85/16 LT E rated tires are the standard size for a '99-'04 Ford Superduty F250 or F350. They are way oversize for a '54 3100 and require a wheel that's 7 inches wide. The standard wheels for a 3100 are 4 or 4.5 inches wide.
I believe that some of the guys here have recommended 215/85R16. C load rated tires would be plenty for what you need. Higher load rated tires would give you a much stiffer ride, bordering on tooth-rattling.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Yes, indeed. I have logged on 110,000 miles with 215 85R 16 Michelin Radial X tires. No tubes, stock rims. The first set I bought 'gently used second hand' and got nearly 50k miles and at the end the tread on all four was still legal. Second set, same model and size, same mileage. I am now on a third set. Good luck with your decision.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
ditto on using 215 85R 16 (radial)

Play with the PSI to achieve best tracking (lower pressure) and easy steering (higher pressure).

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215


I had the 215 85R 16s as well. Mine wouldn't hold air overnight unless I had tubes. Ran tubes for years, no problems.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
Ditto on 215 85R 16's

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I have had tubes in the set on my Suburban for about 15 years.

The rims on my pickup did not require tubes.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0