I've struggled with this for a couple hours, trying several different things, with no luck. Time to ask for experienced help.
My SM420 is completely torn down, except for the reverse idler shaft, which I cannot seem to get out. The Novak directions say to drive in the retaining pin, after which the shaft can be driven out from front to rear, using a brass drift. I'm confident I have the retaining pin completely inside the shaft, but I can't get the shaft to budge. I'm about to use my press, but don't I want to break anything. Anyone else have the same problem? How did you get yours out?
Hi Greg, I've been inside a few of these as of lately. On one of the rebuilds I did, I had to break the shaft loose with my 20 ton press. Just make sure the retaining pin is driven clear of the case. Your in the PNW, pm me with your tel number and I can help in any way. Steve
Last edited by sstock; 09/06/201812:03 AM.
1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY Gallery Video of the 261 running
1964 GMC 1000 305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration