The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (cmayna, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
I am re-using the cross pins in the rear shackles, but the small retaining pins are shot. Where can I get JUST the retaining pins?
-OR-
Is there an "updated" cross pin (bolt) that can be used, that doesn't use the retaining pins?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I was able to get one retaining bolt at NAPA after stripping a new one. I’m not sure if they were doing me a favor or if they have a part number for just the bolt.

When installing line up the spring pin best you can then set the lock bolt with a hammer and punch. Nut and lock washer are to keep it from falling out, the pin is soft and likely to strip if using nut to draw it into place.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
I got some at Napa. Expensive and had to ship but they have them. May have an extra leftover if you confirm size. My suspension is mid 60s but maybe the same bolt.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
Thanks! I live about 40 miles from the nearest NAPA.....I will have to check the next time I go that direction! I will check on the size, but they are APPROX 2 1/2" long, 3/8" diam, and have 1/4' threads....

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I believe your're off a little on the dimensions, these rear spring and shackle pin lock bolts are same for 3/4 ton through 2 ton AD trucks.
The parts book shows them as 5/16-24 thread, which sounds familiar, and all but 2" long.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/438.htm
Part number 3656671
Picture http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/222602065490-0-1/s-l1000.jpg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
Like I said....APPROX......
I was just guessing, since I didn't have it in front of me.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
Also, a couple of my shackles had gr8 bolts through instead of the tapered lock pins....They seemed to work for about 30 years, just wondering why they need to be the OEM lock pins....I have new pins now, but was just wondering...


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0