Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (DHedrick, Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, Bill Hanlon, 39Master85, greenie-reddy, Peggy M, 1 invisible),
140
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,396 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | I'm in the midst of a steering upgrade on my 46 and I can't find a machine shop with any tie rod reamers. I bought tie rod ends suggested in the forum, one has a 10 degree taper and the other a 7 degree taper. I really don't want to spend $160+ for the reamers but after calling several machine shops I've yet to find one with the reamers to do the job.
I live near Upper Marlboro, MD and would appreciate advice on a machine shop that would be able to ream the pitman arm and steering arm or if anyone wants to loan/rent/sell a 7 and 10 degree reamer I would appreciate that too.
Thanks for any help!
Dave | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | You don't need a reamer- - - -the taper can be bored on a lathe by any machinist worthy of the name. How long are the steering arms that need to be modified? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | I am actually trying to replace the original drag link with a more modern setup and that's where the tapered tie rod ends enter the picture. The parts that need a reamed hole are the pitman arm and the link arm (the two pieces the drag link connects). I am not sure this could be done on a lathe. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | I have done many similar things while building round track race cars. The only limiting factor is the radius the lathe can swing and the machinist's imagination. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I have a 1.5”/ foot taper reamer for ball joints and similar. It is 7/16” on small end, and 1” on large. That works out to 7.125* Not sure if your 7* spec is rounded from an inches per foot taper, the more common description for these things.
I don’t mind loaning it locally if it returns in a timely fashion and undamaged. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | Thanks Jerry and Grigg. Grigg, I will send you a PM. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | Speedway Motors has both reamers- - - -$79.95 for one and $89.95 for the other:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Tapered-Ball-Joint-Reamer-7-Degree,2918.html
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Tapered-Ball-Joint-Reamer-10-Degree,29005.html
Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Dave, I have an old reamer I believe is 7*, range is 3/8" to 1". It not new and I don't know how sharp it is. I'm about 40 min south of Upper Marlboro...bring your parts down and we can give it a try. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | Thank you Jerry. It may not come to that as Mike B has offered to lend a hand. David | | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 138 | Mike, I sent you a PM. Thanks, David | | |
| |