The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127531 07/25/2007 5:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Has anybody done anything with this product?
I saw this on "Trucks" and it looks intriging for the DIY. I am wondering specifically if you can use an epoxy primer,then a polyester building type and then go on top with the Paint Shop primer?

#127532 09/07/2007 5:14 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
Just saw your note. I found a can of this paint in a project VW I got on eBay. The LP cover was cheap chrome & had started to rust. I got an entire trunk for $5.00, removed the part, cleaned it and used a car body primer. The part needs 2 coats with 320 grit sand & it came out great in spite of the fact that the color is a mite off. I didn't want to spend another $7.00 for the clear so my body guy did it as he was shooting another car.

#127533 09/07/2007 8:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Nothing is new about this system its nothing but old outdated technology called lacquer.
For roughly the same amount of money you can get an urethane based product that will outlast and outshine that junk lacquer thirty fold.

Do the research then do the math, not that cheap of a system after all.
Lacquer went bye bye in the 60's for a reason...Eric


Currently working on custom metal and How to videos.

1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
70 chevelle SS455
Pictures of my work and projects
http://community.webshots.com/user/sevt_chevelle
#127534 09/12/2007 9:52 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
Eric is right Jim, as lacquer went bye/bye when newer paints came in but it lasted until the mid-eightees as I remember selling a ton of compound & buffing pads to metal shops. As I recall the matal guys hated the work necessary for a perfect paint job before & after. The newer paints were thicker & hid some problems. However, unlike lacquer you needed a paint booth,heat & you had to watch mosture. Lacquer can be used anywhere, dries in minutes and can be buffed out. I was able to take a junk yard part, sand it,paint it (2coats)& put it back on the car in under 30 minutes. I'm not sure how long it will look good or last but my T was restored in 69 with a lacquer paint job & looks as good today as my 06 cars. For what it's worth...


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0