The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (JW51, GrandpasJimmy), 88 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
3/4 ton 55 ..My front fenders have about a 1/2 inch gap between the frnt fenders and door,exposing the cab kinda like this....... ........ frnt fender------ -------frnt door..you know what i mean..The doors line up perfect..the fenders attach perfectly..then the gap ? Is this normal on a 3/4 55..M/G


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
no not normal. Is the gap consistant from top to bottom? or less on top? less on bottom?

Keith

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Consistant,,,right and left side, Passenger side is origanal fender. Could i fill the gap with bondo,smooth it out


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Quote
Originally posted by Mike G.:
Consistant,,,right and left side, Passenger side is origanal fender. Could i fill the gap with bondo,smooth it out
It will chip off


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Dam...It would huh..with the fender jumping around..My only other option is to buy parcial panels to weld in..Half fenders from Classic..I guess?? Then hide the expense from the wife..


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Before I did too much to the fenders, I would try to move the doors forward some & the fenders/rad support back(elongating holes if necc.)as much as poss, you may also need to shim the rad support. Worst case scenario, you may need to move the cab forward on the frame some.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
I agree with Fleet..you should be able to find enough slop here and there to adjust it. Moving the cab may sound drastic but there are only 4 bolts holding it on...a little here a little there and the gap should close up..

Keith

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Thats sounds like the first option..If i can gain just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch I could live with that, Its more like 3/4 inch gap..always somthing..Thanks Guys


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
i have yet to see a truck with good gaps unless you build them into it, these old units were ment to work out of, the best they did is not rub on the next panel! The last two i did i couldn't enough from anything to make much difference!

1/4 inch welding rod welded to the edge works wonders!

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Welcolme to the wonderfull world of fitting Task Force body panels! :hammering:
The TF trucks seemto have the most frustrating door/fender fit problems. Most likely, you're going to need to move the fenders back, and possible move the doors forward. Moving the cab won't do anything to fix the gap. There may be a issue with the core support/inner fender panels being too far forward. There is an adustment on the lower mounting of the rad for that.
It doesn't help that the aftermarket can't seem to make door wheatherstripping that will allow the doors to shut in the correct position, either. Exept for Steele, theirs fits.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I need to gain about ...well close to a hal inch. I just finished my inner fenders, I put the inner fender gaskets on and they are butted right up to the fire wall...I just cant see them moving back at all..Idont see the fenders moving back either,the fenders are sweet to the grill and with thw hood...I dont know...??? You guys sure I cant use filler??


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Just took a look at the alignment..I dont see were I can make this up (gap)...The door lines are correct...if I yank the cab a bit the hood will be out of alignmant with the fenders and the hood latch.....I could take one of those 1/2 inch wide fence connectors,the things they use to connect chain link fence together and fab it to the end of the fender,not flush to the fender but set in a bit and use filler..Kinda like an extension of the fender to the door...you guys know what I mean?


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
There should be enough adjustment there to get it correct. Everything reads of the cab, so moving the cab around on the chassis won't improve things. Probly going to need to adjust the entire doghouse back. Do the fenders first, then re-align the grille/core support, the hood last. Try that first, rather than adding to the fender length. I know that these TF trucks can be a pain to get the panels aligned, just be patient and take your time with it. Beleive me, I've done it more time than I really care to admit. In fact, I'm in the process of doing it again, as I'm having to do a little collision repairs to the '55.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
I trust your advice Bill..will give it a go. Thanks


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Bill..Question about front fender seal.Is this rubber seal installed on the edge of the fender,meaning is it exposed..or is it hidden behind the edge of the fender..Hope you know what i mean.


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the seals [actually 'anti-squeaks'] go underneath, won't fill any gaps .... see here

filler would be a very last resort [like someone said about adding a welding rod along the fender edge] .... I'd loosen all the front parts and see what can shift around, even a tiny bit of movement on the core support mounts might make the difference, and up/down there or the cab mounts is possible too .... the way these trucks were built, the entire doghouse was assembled to the cab and then that combined unit was put on a chassis

Bill [the untrustworthy one grin ]


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
Got it ...Thanks again


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
Doghouse is? front fenders etc?

Thanks,

Keith

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The doghouse, or front clip, is the entire fender/grille/hood assembly.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
Mike,
loosen up All 6 bolt of the front clip and move it back.Do not move the cab if you do not a thing will line up.Your gap should be 1/8 of an inch or a little more.Most of the time the top to bottom gap will be defferent on 55-59 chevy trucks most of the time.They did not spend alot of time on these trucks at the factory.Do not bond it will crack off.If any thing spot weld down the edge to colse the gap.Hope it helped you.P.S hi longbox55!!


1955 GMC Big Window
1957 Chevy 1.5-Ton
1959 Chevy Short Fleetside
Plus lots more ...I LOVE THESE TRUCKS!!!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I thought that was you, truckman!


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 256
6 bolts....I have to try to remember,its stripped right now but I am getting close to putting the front clip on, I am going in reverse now, and my front fenders will be last..or maybe i took it all off the wrong way..just tell me which 6 bolts and i will be fine.


HURRY UP AND WAIT 55 235 3/4
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
Mike are these original fenders or the new replacements?

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
Mike,
You have the 2 on top of the fenders that bolt to the cab, 2 on the lower fenders that hold it to the cab.The last 2 are on ether side of the radiator support that hold the front clip to the frame.that will let you move that clip back to close the gap and make sure the clip is stright.If our clip is apart put it together off the truck and get a buddy to help put the whole clip on at one time.This will make the work alot faster .... grin


1955 GMC Big Window
1957 Chevy 1.5-Ton
1959 Chevy Short Fleetside
Plus lots more ...I LOVE THESE TRUCKS!!!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0