The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (jmoore, Peggy M, Jon G, John Dlugos, DadsFirstPickup, 1 invisible), 87 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
I have 59 firetruck that I plan to convert from steel 10 lug original steel wheels to 10 lug aluminum wheels. Some of the members may remember seeing my truck before on this site. I know that the lug studs need to be longer since the aluminum wheels are thicker than the original steel wheels. My thinking is that the front studs have to be changed to longer studs and the rears could be used as is if I use a steel inter wheel and use longer studs for the outer. If anyone has made this swap let me know if my thinking is correct. Any other comments about this swap is welcome. thanks Geary

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
May not need longer studs at all, just measure and see, or test fit.
With the aluminum wheels do the studs protrude out of the nuts at all, if so you're good to go.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
Are you replacing widow makers or just upgrading wheels?


Stuff I’m gonna work on, I swear
1963 C30 flatbed
1961 Apache 30 (parts, no title)
1960 GMC Big Bolt

Don't tweet, face, Google, or link. Just hanging in as long as I can...
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
Thanks for the replies. I will measure to make sure but by eye the studs look too short. I want to put more modern wheels to put on radial tires and for the aluminum wheel look. I bought four aluminum wheels from a Peterbilt and two modern steel wheels for the rear inters. The tires on this truck are square after 50 years.

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
Please add some pics when you've got them on. That's something I'd like to see! ;-)


Stuff I’m gonna work on, I swear
1963 C30 flatbed
1961 Apache 30 (parts, no title)
1960 GMC Big Bolt

Don't tweet, face, Google, or link. Just hanging in as long as I can...
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 199
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 199
They make extended reach lug nuts so you can put aluminium wheels with the short studs.


Shane
1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside
1959 Apache 3200 NAPCO
1957 Chevy 5700 Low Cab Forward
1959 GMC F370 LCF
Another 1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside
1959 Chevy 5700 LCF
1946 Chevy 1/2 ton
1958 GMC 600
1974 Elcamino SS




Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Except if the studs already fit real close in the lug holes in wheel.
Or if it’s a Budd stud centered wheel, only one kind of nuts available.

What is the original bolt pattern, and do the new wheels match?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
The wheels I bought are stud centered wheels and match the bolt pattern of the original wheels.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
That’s good news, Budd wheels were very common
I suspect plenty of stud choices to get some the length you need. Remember left hand thread on left side of truck.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0