Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (TUTS 59, JW51, Jon G),
114
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 | AD panel trucks must have the biggest blind spot in the world! What are you panel guys doing for mirrors? OEM mirrors are pretty tiny. I would appreciate photos if you have them.
1951 Chevy Panel Truck
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 |
I have the stock mirrors and I agree they are very tiny. I have owned and driven cargo vans for the past 30 years in my work and am used to it. Although the mirrors were a bit bigger, the blind spots are the same. I generally just try to stay in the right lane as much as possible and be aware of other traffic all the time. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 406 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2015 Posts: 406 | I picked up an after market rear view camera and mounted it above the rear plate , and mounted the screen in place of the rear view mirror. There's an assortment of camera sizes to choose from,, I got the smallest lens to blend in better and have it turned just a bit to view more of the right side of the truck. I like it so much I got two more to mount some where forward on either side of the truck so as to see whats around me. All this cost less than the deductable on my insurance should I cause an accident.. P. S. my lens out back is wireless so I tied into my license plate light to power it, I drive with lights on always anyway.
John
good planning is no substitute for dumb luck
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | I use an almost original-appearance round rear-view mirror on the right side of my Suburban. It has a convex lens and is a little larger diameter that the original option/accessory right-side mirror (6" rather than 5"). No side bind-spot for me. Made by CIPA in black or stainless. Walmart (on-line) and others sell them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-Round-6-Heavy-Duty-HotSpot-Mirror/35994908I like the idea for using a fiber-optic line for a direct-rear-view camera on any old truck. I have a wireless one that works with my 7" GPS, but have not used it. There are Wi-Fi versions, that work with a cellphone. If anybody has used one, please post a "review/assessment". | | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 | Wow, the convenience of wireless cameras is incredible! But alas, too high tech for my build theme, so I'm thinking the 6" CIPA convex mirror is the way to go.
1951 Chevy Panel Truck
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2018 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2018 Posts: 3 | My existing body has three holes in a triangular patter in the doors. I'm thinking that there were "Towing" mirrors installed at one point in its life. While I like the idea of the visibility, I'm not very excited about the look. I'm trying to maintain the outside "survivor" look, with the interior 2018 amenities. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Be kind, I'm new to the board
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | If/when you have to do body work in those areas, you could fill the holes then.
If you want to go to original mirror-arms/mirrors, drilling the holes are a contortionist's bad-dream, but where you drill each pair of holes is, luckily, not hard to determine. Look up from under the dash (on each side) and you will see a "brace" on each side, directly under where the each mirror gets attached. I think the hole-drilling locations are fairly apparent from underneath?
Pictures have been posted in old post, but the links might be bad. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Passenger side on my 52 panel. Don't pay any attention to the big hole. The previous owner had a radio antenna there.....and be sure to drill the right holes in the "brace". https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/L...Hkdm0hwzMK59ZnUNEeGyrSXMw8=w1121-h840-no | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,256 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,256 | Ferrous52, Welcome to the Stovebolt! | | |
| |