The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, pdlightning, ndkid275), 119 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1271054 07/03/2018 12:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
Unfortunately its time for an overhaul on my stock 216. Before I struggle, I'm trying to figure out if I can pull the engine without the trans, or do I have to pull it as one unit? There's a lot of grime to clean off, so I can't tell if all the bolts are accessible or not, but I thought I remembered hearing that it had to come as a unit. Thanks for the help!

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The whole front clip is easily removed with the removal of a few bolts which makes engine removal much easier. On my '47.1 series GMC there were a few bolts that were difficult to reassemble by myself, which I replaced with studs for ease of one person reassembly.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
Thanks for the response, but it didn't actually answer my question... Can the engine be removed without removing the transmission? Or, I suppose, can the trans be removed without removing the engine? To clarify, I know myself and there is work to be done on my fenders and grill, if I remove them there is a 99% chance that I'll have to fix them before I remount them. I just want the truck back on the road, I was really hoping to avoid opening pandoras box.

Last edited by Hotrod_A; 07/03/2018 1:20 PM.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 430
I was able to pull my 46 2-ton engine with the transmission and without pulling anything but the hood, radiator core and shifter. I would caution against pulling any more sheet metal than necessary. You will probably break a few bolts and that can be a pain to deal with. Getting one of these is a life saver for pulling engines.

https://mossmotors.com/tilt-lift-engine-hoist

I have had one for years and won't pull an engine without one. You can stand it up from end to end.


Randy Domeck
Indianapolis Fabrications
[email protected]
Indianapolis, In. 46254
317-258-0039

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
I had to separate the engine and trans before the engine could be removed. My truck is a Low Cab Forward and the front floor support would not allow the combination to come out in one pull.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by RDomeck
I was able to pull my 46 2-ton engine with the transmission and without pulling anything but the hood, radiator core and shifter. I would caution against pulling any more sheet metal than necessary. You will probably break a few bolts and that can be a pain to deal with. Getting one of these is a life saver for pulling engines.

https://mossmotors.com/tilt-lift-engine-hoist

I have had one for years and won't pull an engine without one. You can stand it up from end to end.

Slick item, added to my wannaget list...


Stuff I’m gonna work on, I swear
1963 C30 flatbed
1961 Apache 30 (parts, no title)
1960 GMC Big Bolt

Don't tweet, face, Google, or link. Just hanging in as long as I can...

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0