The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Peggy M, Jman, HandyAndy, DadsFirstPickup, Otto Skorzeny, Ponchogl, ronsway), 110 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,531
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
The big parts vendors are now listing steering gear worm assemblies with shafts for sale. They supposedly fit 1941 and later model years. My current steering needs some help and I want to buy one of these reproductions. However, I am questioning whether this unit can be used.

Two shaft lengths are available: 49 5/16, 50 1/2. The shaft that came out of my '41 measures 48". I also have one out of a '46 and that one also measures 48". I have discussed this with the vendors and am not getting any meaningful answers. I don't want to put out $250 only to find out that it can't be used.

Has anyone installed one of these reproductions or have insight regarding this contradiction?

Thanks

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
Here is a page from the parts manual, http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/400.htm , and as you can see, the length is 47 7/8" just as you measured. I measure an old one I have and it to is 47 7/8" long tip to tip. I am not sure why they would be selling the longer shafts since most will want them for 1/2 tons. I found a NOS shaft front a COE and just cut off the top portion and replaced it with a top piece from a '37 so my horn and steering wheel would still fit. It's easy enough to just cut out a section and have it welded back together if you can find a longer one in good shape. The internals are all the same other then in 1942 the roller ball diameter and count changed. '42-'46 are the same, '41 is one year only, yet the design is very close.

You would hate to cut into a $200 part but that may be you only hope. Does your current one have a bad bearing race? Mine did and all the machinist I talked with said it couldn't be repaired.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
Thanks for the reply. The bearing race looks decent. This steering problem is making me a bit nuts. I'll post when I finally figure out what the hell i'm going to do.

Thanks again

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
A professional rebuild would be about $300-$325 (including shipping).

If your unit is rebuildable.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
You might hunt down a sector gear ( pitman shaft ) and see if that will help tighten up the steering. If the worm gear is OK and the bearing races are OK, then you should be able to make it all work. The ball nut can wear in the straight ahead position, but a new sector gear may be enough to compensate. Bushings can be sourced local from any bearing retailer, bearings can be had at most venders in the above links, gaskets you make yourself.

Check e-bay for sector gears, I see every now and then.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0